Skip to main content
Topic: Base install with wifi only?  (Read 1534 times) previous topic - next topic

Base install with wifi only?

Reading the base install how2 I notice that internet connection is required right after partition mounting but if I have only wifi hardware then setting that up comes only later in the installation process so that it's not clear how to get past this point (yet the Plasma iso live DVD caters to the installation of all basics and much more without an internet connection).

I got a positive message with reference to this post but it vanished soon after I clicked it; I'm not used to messages or notices and don't really know how to handle them. In fact except for a very few others I'm not involved or used to forums either as I by far prefer usenet but there is no Artix newsgroup. I will see if I can maybe enable emails.

Who, has loved us more?

Re: Base install with wifi only?

Reply #1
Artix base ISO is wonderfully packed with delicious ConnMan connection manager.  With ConnMan, Internet connection may be established from pure bash shell, without Xorg, without installed DE, without any graphical frontend.

ConnMan remembers established connection and reconnects automagically on subsequent reboots.  Backup installed base ISO, without any DE, and restore it later to add any desired DE.

Once DE is installed, ConnMan continues to autoconnect to Internet.  For GUI lovers, it has connman-gtk graphical frontend. NetworkManager and ModemManager aren't needed, ConnMan does everything what they do.

Full  ConnMan description is offered by ArchWiki here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/ConnMan

ConnMan's use is very simple, there's nothing complicated.  Below is a quick list of main Connman commands, which I use to connect to Internet from base ISO.  Once you're in (root) bash shell, use them to connect.  Example uses my WiFi ID - use yours instead:

Code: [Select]
# connmanctl technologies
# connmanctl enable wifi
# connmanctl services
# connmanctl
connmanctl> agent on
connmanctl> connect wifi_bc743749b87b_4137422f64526f6d+managed_psk
[--> agent asks for passphrase to connect <--]
connmanctl> quit
# ping artixlinux.org

Edit: Typos

Reply #3
Artix base ISO is wonderfully packed with delicious ConnMan connection manager.  With ConnMan, Internet connection may be established from pure bash shell, without Xorg, without installed DE, without any graphical frontend.

ConnMan remembers established connection and reconnects automagically on subsequent reboots.  Backup installed base ISO, without any DE, and restore it later to add any desired DE.

Once DE is installed, ConnMan continues to autoconnect to Internet.  For GUI lovers, it has connman-gtk graphical frontend. NetworkManager and ModemManager aren't needed, ConnMan does everything what they do.

ConnMan's use is very simple, there's nothing complicated.  Below is a quick list of main Connman commands, which I use to connect to Internet from base ISO.  Once you're in (root) bash shell, use them to connect.  Example uses my WiFi ID - use yours instead:

# connmanctl enable wifi
# connmanctl services
# connmanctl
connmanctl> agent on
connmanctl> quit
# ping artixlinux.org

I'm going to try this later today; what I'm after is the simplest *granny can do too* resolution because when I move my rags over to Artix I won't be alone but I want to preclude/minimize the 'but you said' secondaries  :-)

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #4
Reading the base install how2 I notice that internet connection is required right after partition mounting but if I have only wifi hardware then setting that up comes only later in the installation process so that it's not clear how to get past this point (yet the Plasma iso live DVD caters to the installation of all basics and much more without an internet connection).

Quote from: Artix Wiki
Wireless ones must be configured by the user. Verify your connection before you proceed. If you want connect through a wireless interface you should use wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd to set it up.

If you read the wiki you see that it is shown as required and you are supposed to know how to search for stuff when using Artix Linux. The wireless configuration that you are talking about is for the base system so after you are chrooted so it has nothing to do with what you are supposed to do at this point

Reply #5

# connmanctl enable wifi
# connmanctl services
# connmanctl
connmanctl> agent on
connmanctl> quit
# ping artixlinux.org

I went into my laptop with the base iso just to see how this connman bit would turn out. The only reason that I'm not posting this from the resulting booted artix-plasma system is that having installed just the plasma without the kde-applications I could not get to firefox or how to install it or something similar nor could I remember the name of the curses browser.  No big deal, there were a few traps that I will mention later. Thank you, thank you, thank you: I will ask the bartender to say a mass for your soul  ;D

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #6
You're welcome :-)

Re: Base install with wifi only? a couple of corollaries

Reply #7

Sorry about that, THE how2 is as bad manners as THE wiki, the REAL McCoy being https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Installation

At one point the referenced readme tells to install connman AND optionally a front for it connman-gtk OR cmst for Gt.  I installed the gtk variety but see no cmst anywhere. Does gtk-ish KDE require the latter? Is XFCE gt or gtk? Can both be installed?  Where is cmst?

The download guide  https://artixlinux.org/download.php  says that a base system can be installed from the base iso OR from a graphical image iso.  I've already done a lightweight Plasma install and suppose that I could do a base install by following the base install guide above working from the cLi of a booted graphical facility.  I'd like to confirm that this is possible and also how would I next but in another session install the rest of the say the same lightweight Plasma system with no connection to the net until the final product is actually booted?  If I read it correctly basestrap just copies files from DVD while pacman downloads and installs packages.  How does one do what pacman does but from the DVD?  (Suse Yast caters to this by limiting the repo list to the DVD and Yast can be launched either GUI or just ncurses).

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #8

seems to be far more involved than connman (an unqualified opinion just from reading up the ref. I have so far only used cLi connection the last few days.)

I do prefer manual connection though, not automatic. If I had my way both would have a simple command like either

connman MYNET pwd     or   wpas MYNET pwd  and end of story until I do either

connman MYNET kill  or wpas MYNET kill using labelled buttons in the panel

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #9
seems to be far more involved than connman
Yes, that is usually the compromise: on one side are the simple, minimal, CLI programs, which offer the most freedom to the user, and with no (or very little) dependencies, which require reading the documentation to configure and use, and on the other side are opinionated "user friendly" programs, often with several dependencies and, at the extreme end, using GUI point-and-click interface, which might require less reading to use, but are harder to diagnose and fix when they stop working.

By the way, there is a configuration generator for wpa_supplicant: SetNet.

Reply #10
Yes, that is usually the compromise: on one side are the simple, minimal, CLI programs, which offer the most freedom to the user, and with no (or very little) dependencies, which require reading the documentation to configure and use, and on the other side are opinionated "user friendly" programs, often with several dependencies and, at the extreme end, using GUI point-and-click interface, which might require less reading to use, but are harder to diagnose and fix when they stop working.

By the way, there is a configuration generator for wpa_supplicant: SetNet.

"the current version of setnet has not been thoroughly tested against potential privilege escalation attacks."

The above alone pretty well leaves me out of it. But in the blurb I read with interest what I think is a distinction made between using "su" and "sudo". The latter limits the required privilege (in this case for SetNet use) whereas the former leaves you do whatever you want. Is there anything else? I've been using "su" mostly.

I also notice in Artix as in most distros the odd dialog popping up asking for authentication  ..but without saying by whom i.e. does it want user pwd or root pwd?  

Other than this I am now running the Plasma-gui installs on my laptop as well as desktop (until I get MUCH more familiar with Artix) and in these my usb wifi device is detected and configured pretty seamlessly.

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #11
The above alone pretty well leaves me out of it. But in the blurb I read with interest what I think is a distinction made between using "su" and "sudo". The latter limits the required privilege (in this case for SetNet use) whereas the former leaves you do whatever you want. Is there anything else? I've been using "su" mostly.
What blurb? If you mean the SetNet webpage, only two privilege escalation programs are mentioned there: sudo and sup, there is no mention of su. If properly configured, all of them are safe to use. It is worth mentioning that there are resources on the Internet with supporting evidence advocating the use of opendoas instead of using sudo.

@Thread, RTFW. Everything is explained in detail, it just takes patience to read and apply.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Network_configuration/Wireless
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Wpa_supplicant