Skip to main content
Topic: Disk partition full /root/.local/share2/Trash/Files 10GB+ (Read 1145 times) previous topic - next topic

Disk partition full /root/.local/share2/Trash/Files 10GB+

/root/.local/share2/Trash/Files
/root/.local/share/Trash/Files

Somehow those two directories help copies of packages downloaded over a 3 month period and filled up the disk space although /var/cache is mounted elsewhere.  It got to the point where I would rm  pkgs and couldn't reinstall or update anything till I reached the source of the problem.  Those two directories had more than twice the space needed by the whole installation.

Why does this happen and why doesn't it happen in other installations that are much older?

Could it be that chrooting into the system and forgetting to mount -a and doing upgrades the pkgs are stored temporarily there?

It is temporarily cured but what is causing this?

Re: Disk partition full /root/.local/share2/Trash/Files 10GB+

Reply #1
/root/.local/share2/Trash/Files
/root/.local/share/Trash/Files

Somehow those two directories help copies of packages downloaded over a 3 month period and filled up the disk space although /var/cache is mounted elsewhere.  It got to the point where I would rm  pkgs and couldn't reinstall or update anything till I reached the source of the problem.  Those two directories had more than twice the space needed by the whole installation.

Why does this happen and why doesn't it happen in other installations that are much older?

Could it be that chrooting into the system and forgetting to mount -a and doing upgrades the pkgs are stored temporarily there?

It is temporarily cured but what is causing this?
Are you using a display manager I ask because I had the same problem in obarun when not running a display manager

Re: Disk partition full /root/.local/share2/Trash/Files 10GB+

Reply #2
On artix I use sddm, although I hate the new format.

On oba I don't, but there was no problem there.  Pretty much every Artix installation I have has a varying degree of the problem, so I cleaned them all up.

What I discovered today trying to chroot from a non-arch distribution into artix the directory is locked.  So, chroot does not always provide full root rights, and locked things aren't accessible.  Strange, to me, learning as I go.

So, I am deducing that at certain chroot environments when pacman installs and wants to clean up the cache and get rid of older stuff it moved to that trash-can but there are no sufficient rights to empty the can.  So the more you chroot into it the fuller it gets, till there is no room and your installation locks (in terms of upgrading or installing something).

In general I use artools-chroot, even in Obarun I use artools-chroot, although arch-chroot seems to be the same, and when I am working on one installation I upgrade the others.

Also, I haven't seen share2 anywhere else, it was only that one distribution.  Everything else only has share, no share2.
So something is up witdat.