Skip to main content
Topic: artix-lxqt-openrc-20210726-x86_64.iso install  (Read 1646 times) previous topic - next topic

artix-lxqt-openrc-20210726-x86_64.iso install

downloaded and put on a ventoy thumb drive

install booted ok, if i do not use this machines usb3, else fails.

But once started clicking on anything failes to launch anything.
Rebooted a few times into artix iso until I could run the artix install gui,

install to clean ssd.
Boot from ssd, same problem, clicking on things will not launch anything.
rebooting to ssd, same thing. keep trying until get 'panels has crashed to many times. will not open until re login.

START OVER
use Popsicle to write the iso again. it verifies hash, as done every other time.
same problems with seemingly fine ui, but not clickable.

START OVER
use Popsicle to write the iso again, to a different Thumb drive.
Same issue.

Currently downloading artix-community-qt-openrc-20210726-x86_64.iso and see if that does anything.

PLEASE ADVISE.

Re: artix-lxqt-openrc-20210726-x86_64.iso install

Reply #2
thank you for your reply.

how do i post logs?

Reply #3
When you have logged in in the installed system, you can press Ctrl+Alt+F2 and login on tty2 as root. Then you can simply copy the logs to a flash drive and post them to https://paste.artixlinux.org

Logs are under /var/log, the most relevant here would be Xorg.0.log and everything.log.

Reply #5
I tried to install pipewire following the wiki above

then i read https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PipeWire#GUI

PipeWire currently uses the simple example session manager pipewire-media-session, but WirePlumber is more powerful and recommended

so i uninstall pipewire-media-session and install wireplumber

I set those to run in lxqt startup

reboot

Now i cannot click and drag windows, cannot close with upper right 'x'
If i click in one window to type it goes to another.

Uninstalled it all and remove startup things.  reboot.

still weird cannot click to close and drag and text goes to wrong window

Any help? Still no audio.

EDIT, I can only type in the browser window if that is the only window on the screen.  I have to minimize all the rest

Reply #6
Hello, try this.

Find your desired card with:

cat /proc/asound/cards
and then create /etc/asound.conf with following:

(type sudo nano /etc/asound.conf)

defaults.pcm.card 1
      defaults.ctl.card 1

pacman -S volumeicon qastools

Add volumeicon into startup (command is volumeicon add from startup programs menu).
Adjust your card from toolbar icon.
This is instruction for alsa, not pipewire, but you will have some sound.

Reply #7
 sudo pacman -S volumeicon qastools
error: target not found: qastools

also, any thoughts on why the windows wont resize or move or min/max?

also, no audio still

More on weird window bugs.
if i open another window like kwrite, i cannot type in the browser only seems to ignore the browser
i can go from terminal to kwrite fine. browser only gets typed text of no other choice.
the windows wont resize or move or min/max using the mouse. but the taks bar right click commands work

Reply #8
I would install "pavucontrol" and tested/played with it to see if it can even connect to pulseaudio server (provided by pipewire).
Than to configure the device/output options (it could even be muted.)

Reply #10
reinstalled https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Site/PipewireInsteadPulseaudio, but installed wireplumber instead of /usr/bin/pipewire-media-session

added these to LXQt session autostart

Also installed pavucontrol

did    cat /proc/asound/cards
and then create /etc/asound.conf with following:

defaults.pcm.card 1
      defaults.ctl.card 1

sudo pacman -S volumeicon

rebooted and the built in sound works.

there is a hdmi audio that is not working.

firefox still refuses to receive text typed at it if any other window is open.

Apparently it is a firefox bug

Reply #11
Regarding the "artix-community-qt" ISOs, I checked both the stable and weekly ISOs and they have problems. Thanks for the report, this will be looked into.

Regarding the Firefox behavior, that is a "feature" of Firefox UI. To clarify, when the "Google Search" input field on the start page of Firefox (or the similar "DuckDuckGo Search" input field in Librewolf) is focused, when typing, focus will be shifted to the URL field on top of the window, and any typed text will be entered there instead of the Search input field on the start page. In any case, not Artix-related.

Reply #12
Regarding the "artix-community-qt" ISOs, I checked both the stable and weekly ISOs and they have problems. Thanks for the report, this will be looked into.

Regarding the Firefox behavior, that is a "feature" of Firefox UI. To clarify, when the "Google Search" input field on the start page of Firefox (or the similar "DuckDuckGo Search" input field in Librewolf) is focused, when typing, focus will be shifted to the URL field on top of the window, and any typed text will be entered there instead of the Search input field on the start page. In any case, not Artix-related.
this is not what happens to me.

If i focus the FF window, anything types will appear in whatever window is also open and not minimized. if i minimize the window getting the text, new typed text goes to the next open window. only when all other windows are minimized or closed, does typed text goto firefox.

Reply #13
I just tested the case that you mentioned and there is no issue. Check that you have installed omniverse/firefox (or universe/librewolf), there aren't any prior configuration files in ~ and your system is up to date.

Sorry, I don't know what else can be tried. Everything works here.

Update: Looking back on the Xorg.0.log, regarding the
Code: [Select]
[  7428.612] (EE) event7  - ELECOM TrackBall Mouse HUGE TrackBall: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 14ms, your system is too slow
[  7428.947] (EE) event7  - ELECOM TrackBall Mouse HUGE TrackBall: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 20ms, your system is too slow
[  7469.123] (EE) event7  - ELECOM TrackBall Mouse HUGE TrackBall: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 12ms, your system is too slow
[  7469.123] (EE) event7  - ELECOM TrackBall Mouse HUGE TrackBall: WARNING: log rate limit exceeded (5 msgs per 60min). Discarding future messages.
lines from your Xorg.0.log, a web search gave the following thread:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=258638

So maybe try disabling USB autosuspend:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_management#USB_autosuspend

Update 2: About the other errors:
Code: [Select]
[  6984.511] (EE) client bug: timer event7 debounce short: scheduled expiry is in the past (-18ms), your system is too slow
[  6988.173] (EE) client bug: timer event7 debounce short: scheduled expiry is in the past (-10ms), your system is too slow
[  7087.156] (EE) client bug: timer event7 debounce: scheduled expiry is in the past (-10ms), your system is too slow
[  7087.156] (EE) client bug: timer event7 debounce short: scheduled expiry is in the past (-24ms), your system is too slow
[  7307.293] (EE) event7  - ELECOM TrackBall Mouse HUGE TrackBall: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 16ms, your system is too slow
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=257606

Update 3: Also a similar issue: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-input-libinput/-/issues/35

Reply #14
i gave up and deleted it all and installed from the weekly.

everything works