Skip to main content
Topic: Youtube-dl (Read 1862 times) previous topic - next topic

Youtube-dl

So youtube-dl has stopped working properly - "ratebypass" stopped working right, everyone on their github page is also having this problem. I don't know if their release as of today fixes it or not just yet but I'd just like you guys to get the newest version into the repos ASAP if you can, because the version we're on now downloads videos at literal dial-up speed, 50-90 kbps. I'm compiling it from source FOR NOW...But it would be nice if you guys kept it as updated as possible until ratebypass starts to work again. Thanks.

Re: Youtube-dl

Reply #1
Maybe if you offered to maintain the latest release for Artix they would run with that?
Beyond that isn't it coming from the Arch repo & not the responsibility of anyone packaging for Artix (they do only the openrc stuff I believe)?

If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected. ;)

Reply #2
Offer to maintain the latest release? How do I do that? I'm not really sure where to even begin.
youtube-dl is in the [community] repo - pretty sure that's the Artix repo & not the Arch repo.
I'd love to be able to maintain some packages for Artix, but I'm not so sure how that's all done, maybe I should look into it some more when I have time.

Reply #3
youtube-dl is in the [community] repo - pretty sure that's the Artix repo & not the Arch repo.

Community is repo from ArchLinux

Artix provides only: system, world, galaxy, lib32 and their testing version
Arch repos are used for: community, extra, multilib

Reply #5
@Sero Forgive me, I can ask silly questions sometimes?

How are those files that mplayer (& associated media player packages) needs, connected with youtube-dl?

Does youtube-dl use those same packages in the trans-coding process?

Reply #6
mpv/smplayer automatically use youtube-dl in the background when opening some urls, at least that's 99% of my usage of youtube-dl, through them, not sure about the transcoding part, but the same libraries might break transcoding as well. I now realize that people might be using youtube-dl in different scenarios than I am - archiving, not viewing.

Reply #7
mpv/smplayer automatically use youtube-dl in the background when opening some urls, at least that's 99% of my usage of youtube-dl, through them, not sure about the transcoding part, but the same libraries might break transcoding as well. I now realize that people might be using youtube-dl in different scenarios than I am - archiving, not viewing.

Yep, I forgot about those media players using youtube-dl.

I use youtube-dl to download vids to then view later, using the following little bash script:

#!/bin/bash
#
echo Please, Enter a URL
read URL
/usr/bin/youtube-dl --prefer-free-formats $URL

Reply #8
It stopped working because mplayer/mpv have stopped working because of

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,365.msg2960/topicseen.html#msg2960

Just do:

Code: [Select]
pacman -Syu extra/libcdio-paranoia extra/libcdio

...What are you talkin' about? Youtube-dl isn't downloading at normal speeds unless its the "muxed" kind (best) usually number 22 or 18 or something, it usually says "best", its the one that doesn't need to be merged.
Ratebypass broke on youtube-dl. Dunno what you're talking about with mpv or mplayer... I've been compiling youtube-dl from source for the past like month almost now, hoping that they'll find some sort of fix..

Reply #9
Clipgrab, specifically clipgrab-qt5, is what I use for downloading (and converting) videos from youtube. It will also download videos from some other sites too. It works great for my purpose. It's available in the AUR. :)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.