Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Privilege separation user nobody does not exist (Read 2090 times) previous topic - next topic

Privilege separation user nobody does not exist

Hey guys, I made a post about this before but I can't find it anywhere, I messaged Artoo with a link about it but I can't even open up the messages me and Artoo had because I get some weird error from the website..

Everyone is complaining about me using pastebin links, but I'm forced to use pastebin because SSH won't work... I was told SSH would be fixed & this error would go away if I'm not mistaken, maybe I'm not remembering it exactly how it was said.
I have a computer that can barely open up an internet browser for some reason, faulty drivers are the most likely cause, as this laptop has really good specs, 2.7GHz dual-core that usually runs up to 3.3GHz & has 16GB DDR3@1600MHz RAM
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,356.new.html#info_2827 (in case anyone is interested in that)

After doing a fresh install of Artix Linux, I CANNOT make SSH work, I've tried searching up solutions but all the pages I get are really really old & none of them I could make work. Pretty certain I was told that this problem would eventually just go away after some updates but it hasn't gone away. I really need SSH to work if I want to get this computer fixed, 9 times out of 10 when I turn it on the keyboard & trackpad won't work either. Very frustrating. This occurs on both BIOS & UEFI.

When I try to run
Code: [Select]
sudo rc-service sshd start

I end up getting

Privilege separation user nobody does not exist
ERROR: sshd failed to start

Re: Privilege separation user nobody does not exist

Reply #1
here's my nobody line:
# cat /etc/passwd | grep nobo
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:/usr/bin/nologin

You could probably add that or

useradd nobody -d /somedir -s /usr/bin/nologin

or any variation of it.

I migrated from arch and I inherited that nobody setup.

There's also a chance this is related to a setuid/setgid call that sshd might be making on startup (nobody's user ID being not what it might expect)

Re: Privilege separation user nobody does not exist

Reply #2
Thank you!! That solved it! This will make things so much easier to fix my Toshiba laptop, as sometimes keyboard & trackpad aren't working upon bootup. 

I had to add
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:/usr/bin/nologin
to /etc/passwd and then do

useradd nobody -d /somedir -s /usr/bin/nologin

And now it works! Thank you Sero!