Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Connecting to wifi erases Artix (Read 847 times) previous topic - next topic

Connecting to wifi erases Artix

Hello, I have just switched from Manjaro to Artix Linux. As soon as I connect to my internet, no program runs. No browser, no file manager, no terminal, but these programs continue to work while connected, they just won't start. Restarted the computer and Artix will not boot, saying the boot file is missing. Tested the bug with a mobile hotspot, it works perfectly fine. I felt it was behaving similar to a ransomware attack, and I reset the router and the password, but it still happened. I am currently connected to the internet and sending this via usb tethering to the same network that is causing all these issues. Other devices work fine on this network. The ISO file is not somehow corrupted, I validated the sha256sum of the file.

Using the latest version of Artix with Plasma

Re: Connecting to wifi erases Artix

Reply #1
Applications won't open while wireless connection is active

Blame NetworkManager poetterware.

Restarted the computer and Artix will not boot, saying the boot file is missing.
This part is more likely related to misconfiguration of GRUB, especially if you have Manjaro dual-booting with Artix.

Tested the bug with a mobile hotspot, it works perfectly fine.
How did you manage to boot up if Artix won't boot?

Anyway, the NetworkManager issue can also manifest when NetworkManager decides to change hostname<->IP binding, ie. applications could start previously and then suddenly stop being able to start after that point, because X.Org was not designed with the host parameters of X server dynamically changing during the session in mind, so newly started applications don't recognize the host as having an X server running on it. Change your NetworkManager.conf as indicated in the Troubleshooting article I linked, or uninstall NetworkManager altogether (wpa_supplicant+dhcpcd are enough for WiFi to function) and then report if the issue persists.

Reply #2
Thanks for the help, the problem no longer exists and I now have an excellent reason to hate poetterware.
How did you manage to boot up if Artix won't boot?
Simply just went through the artix linux installation process again, somehow wiping the main partition to a fresh install worked.
especially if you have Manjaro dual-booting with Artix.
I do not dual-boot, I fully intend to use Artix as my only OS, but somehow after switching to Artix the option to boot into Manjaro remained. I will probably need to clear out some of the files and modify the boot partition but I am rather unexperienced with modifying that part of my system.

Reply #3
Thanks for the help, the problem no longer exists
I am glad that you solved that part of the issue.

somehow after switching to Artix the option to boot into Manjaro remained. I will probably need to clear out some of the files and modify the boot partition but I am rather unexperienced with modifying that part of my system.
You can check out the Arch wiki page on GRUB. It lists all the details on how to setup GRUB. Artix installation guide also has a brief summary of how to install GRUB.

Reply #4
This issue I've had for the longest time too until I found the "hostname-mode=none" solution awhile back. I don't know what the hell they are thinking not to make that the default, maybe because systemd handles that bit for NetworkManager by default, I wouldn't know.

The only reason I still use NetworkManager is because some feature it has and because it shows my lover wherever the internet connection is strong or not via the network-manager-applet,  isn't into tech so that's why I do it that way.