Skip to main content
Topic: Has ArchBang gone away? (Read 3140 times) previous topic - next topic

Has ArchBang gone away?

For the last couple of days, whenever I've tried to go to the ArchBang forum, I get the Heart Internet page, telling me they own the domain?

I wonder if Mr Green, has forgotten to re-subscribe, or whether after all of these years he's let it go...?

Maybe if someone here has his email address they could contact him with regard to this?

Re: Has ArchBang gone away?

Reply #1
For the last couple of days, whenever I've tried to go to the ArchBang forum, I get the Heart Internet page, telling me they own the domain?

I wonder if Mr Green, has forgotten to re-subscribe, or whether after all of these years he's let it go...?

Maybe if someone here has his email address they could contact him with regard to this?
"Archbang is no more". See here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/archbang/blog/2018/01/no-more-archbangorg/

Posted by Mr. Green 15 hours ago.

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #2
I understand that arch-bang switched to artix and mr.greene is here to help artix
He also published a last version of arch-bang with systemd, so people who wanted to go to arch with openbox as it was set in arch-bang they could have gone that-a-way.

So that makes some of us openbox-ers Artix-bang-ers?

rEvolution in linux I tell ya!

ohhh... and that link all it says that the web-site arch-bang will soon stop to exist to save money for the developer.  It will use sf from now on to any future editions, bugs, questions, etc.

Reply #3
Is there anything in the *bang distros that is actually OS/distro dependent? I thought most of it was actual wm and .config files, nothing that couldn't be slapped on top of most modern distros. I remember crunchbang gained quite a following because it looked good out of the box and it was preconfigured, but that has the potential to be replicated using custom packages, not necessarily using a full distro that requires a lot of maintenance on the part of the distro creators.

Reply #4
If I remember correctly, Archbang maintained openrc builds for years so there was that at least.

Reply #5
He just said that "archbang.org" is no more not that Archbang is no more. He will be probably continue working on archbang but just don't maintain archbang.org anymore...

Reply #6
He just said that "archbang.org" is no more not that Archbang is no more. He will be probably continue working on archbang but just don't maintain archbang.org anymore...

Since archbang is artix based, I would not mind mrgreen doing his stuff on artix forums in dedicated subforum.

Reply #7
Since archbang is artix based, I would not mind mrgreen doing his stuff on artix forums in dedicated subforum.

With one exception, my dear Artoo.  Would there be systemd discussion in that subforum?
It is like saying we are liberal people, and we can allow a little room for neo-nazis to organize here, no problem.

Is it an extreme analogy?  Your call!

Reply #8
With one exception, my dear Artoo.  Would there be systemd discussion in that subforum?

I don't see a reason for systemd discussion.
Afaik, archbang defaulted to openrc and artix repos.

Its just an offer instead of using SF, no more, no less.

Reply #9
I hope that Mr Green takes you up on that artoo.

Reply #12
Their is only a systemd ISO, on sourceforge to download.

Reply #13
Last week when I looked there was an artix based iso and a systemd/arch iso
The second had 40 times more interest and downloads than the first, which seems to have been removed.

Basically we are talking about an artix and an arch iso with openbox and all the custom openbox work that mr.Greene and his predecessors had worked on.  So if one would be interested in installing arch and likes openbox, arch-bang is a good place to start.  It is like miyo-linux and vuu-do for Devuan.

Out of respect for the chronic arch-bang user who didn't want to move to artix, mr.Greene provided two alternative paths.  We may not like the second path but it provides continuity for an obsolete project, unlike those that announce they are shutting down and there is no option for the user who may have messed up a previous installation and wants a base to transfer all their custom work on.

Arch-Bang I believe had closed down a couple of years ago and mr.Greene took over where the previous people left it at.

Reply #14
Unfortunately Mr Green has tried and tried to give up Archbang for a long time, his passion for the project stops him at the last moment, Now he has the chance to step back and let someone else with the same passion take over. Will  he will he hell, and I don't blame him try to keep up all your good work Mr Green. :)