Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: no applications start after WiFi connects (Read 1087 times) previous topic - next topic

no applications start after WiFi connects

Artix LXQt OpenRC

After connecting wifi applications launched give this error

Code: [Select]
$ kwrite
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :0
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted

Disconnecting wifi launches app as normal.

Please advise

Re: no applications start after WiFi connects

Reply #1
Artix LXQt OpenRC

$ kwrite
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted

Please advise

i'll start with the most obvious.  The error says to reinstall xcb.  Did you try that while connected to wifi?
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
I seem to remember hearing about issues along the lines of problems with X because NetworkManager was changing the hostname when establishing a connection and X expects the hostname to stay the same once started.

But this is only a vague memory. I've had a search on here but can't find the post so maybe it was a dream  :)

But
hostname
issued before and after connecting to the wifi could be useful? Post output.
is an X permissions thing. Search the error and you'll see.

Reply #3
Artix LXQt OpenRC

$ kwrite

Aborted

Please advise

I have had that problem on the live iso of that flavour in the past. I did find that on installation the problem disappears.

@gripped is correct that it is the hostname that causes the problem, though I can't remember the solution. However, I found that by opening the installer and/or any other programs you need to run BEFORE connecting to wifi, I was able to install satisfactorily.

Reply #4
Hi. I got the same problem with 3 notebooks and I solved it modifying /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf in this way:

[main]
plugins=keyfile
hostname-node=none

I'm using networkmanager, but in the last installation I got the same problem with connman. Probably I'll replace connman with networkmanager, if I wont be able to find a solution with connman.

Reply #5
Just updated networkmanager with the changes in the conf file. After next update is available on your mirror, it should work as expected.

Reply #6
issue went away. I assume because
Just updated networkmanager with the changes in the conf file. After next update is available on your mirror, it should work as expected.

All works.

Got new kernel. Perhaps that tiggered the issue again?

fully updated as of now.
uninstalled the wireless driver.
reinstalled the wireless driver.

Still have the same issue.

disconnecting wifi, all works fine

Please advise

I seem to remember hearing about issues along the lines of problems with X because NetworkManager was changing the hostname when establishing a connection and X expects the hostname to stay the same once started.

But this is only a vague memory. I've had a search on here but can't find the post so maybe it was a dream  :)

But
hostname
issued before and after connecting to the wifi could be useful? Post output.is an X permissions thing. Search the error and you'll see.
Pre wireless connection
hostname
box

unknownREDACTED.attlocal.net

i'll start with the most obvious.  The error says to reinstall xcb.  Did you try that while connected to wifi?
yes. no change.

Reply #7
I went through all the places and set hostname to a specific thing and that worked.

Reply #8
Please tell me where what they changed, starded with the same problem, the Networkmanager folder is not along the path /etc