Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Elogind fails to suspend if vim is open with an unsaved file. (Read 459 times) previous topic - next topic

Elogind fails to suspend if vim is open with an unsaved file.

It's exactly as the title says, I'm on a ThinkPad T530, and every time I close the lid or use "loginctl suspend" with vim open, the suspend fails, and I need to completely reboot my system. This error has been nagging at me for about a year now and I have no idea where to even start, I honestly don't even know where the log files for elogind are, so I'm sorry that I don't have much more information than this, but I can supply log files or any additional information as nessicarry. Thank you for your help.

Re: Elogind fails to suspend if vim is open with an unsaved file.

Reply #1
>I honestly don't even know where the log files for elogind are

An appropriate command for that would be dmesg(1), which prints the kernel ring buffer.

However since you're forced to reboot, the ring buffer in memory disappears with it.

What you need is a syslog daemon so you can capture logs onto disk and inspect them.

So the next step for you is to install a syslog daemon ( my personal recommendation would be metalog ) and do whatever causes the above error and then inspect the logs to see if you find anything interesting.

Reply #2
So the next step for you is to install a syslog daemon ( my personal recommendation would be metalog ) and do whatever causes the above error and then inspect the logs to see if you find anything interesting.

I have no clue what happened, but after installing metalog it would appear that all issuses have been fixed... I have no clue what is going on but I'll do some more testing tonight to make sure that everything is working as intended, and then close the topic if everything is still fine.

Reply #3
Yeah, I still don't know what happened, but everything is working perfectly now, so I'm marking the topic as solved.