Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] [BUG OR MISSING DRIVER] troublesome installation of community-qt-openrc (Read 563 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] [BUG OR MISSING DRIVER] troublesome installation of community-qt-openrc

i have two asus laptops: newer x550cc and older k50in.
i have installed Artix to newer computer two days ago and the system works just great.
i used artix-community-qt-openrc-20220713-x86_64.iso from Ventoy flash card for this laptop (i am using now).
my older computer cannot use Ventoy [not related to this topic, i guess] so i have burned iso to a dvd.
it is bootable but i cannot use onboard keyboard or to issue a click from a touchpad --only pointing and right button are working.
it is an issue in both plasma (x11) & LXQT DEs. my older laptop is not fast enough to run plasma so i was planning to use LXQT DE.
CPU is Pentium T4300 [i guess], RAM 4GB, SSD 250GB Samsung 860 PRO. that keyboard is second one (a replacement) but it worked without issues in Arch linux always and did so today (except spilled-over 'cursor down' button).
i have not changed keyboard layout [US] at initial screen and have chosen 'artix from dvd/iso' option).
i live in Ukraine but i guess it cannot be a reason for such issue. Arch used the same US layout.
THANKS FOR HELP!!! :o

[EDIT0]: USB wireless keyboard&mouse bundle work as expected with that laptop running that live 'community-qt-openrc' image.
maybe it would work after i would install it ...i am going to try this now.
[EDIT1]: on-board keybard works in installation image`s booting menu flawlessly
shean shi eth Ynnwn. Aisha

Re: [BUG OR MISSING DRIVER] troublesome installation of community-qt-openrc image

Reply #2
no ...but as i said i have quiet old computer that is at unease running Plasma DE --my newer one is OK with Plasma.
i used XFCE on that older laptop and i was befond of that DE ...but now i was going to move to LXQT because it would be easier for me to manage two similar systems AND i have decided to use Plasma on newer one because of my sight --XFCE is great but Plasma is vividly animated --it is a remedy for my 3D-blindness. and it is more colorful.
does that edition you have mentioned include LXQT?

Re: [BUG OR MISSING DRIVER] troublesome installation of community-qt-openrc image

Reply #3
no ...but as i said i have quiet old computer that is at unease running Plasma DE --my newer one is OK with Plasma.
i used XFCE on that older laptop and i was befond of that DE ...but now i was going to move to LXQT .../...
After trying and using several GUIs, I opted for XFCE years ago: it's stable, flexible and easily configurable.

That said, LXQT would be the next one I would adopt.
Yes, there are LXQT versions in the Weekly ISO images section: https://artixlinux.org/download.php

Like for example: artix-lxqt-openrc-20221017-x86_64.iso

Reply #4
oh thanks for a guidance tintin but i`ve found a remedy --in a fact THERE IS NO BUG OR MISSING DRIVER!!!
simply my older laptop has very slow SATA 2 [OR 1?] DVD drive and libraries are loaded with AAA HUUUGE DEEELAAAYY :P
[AND I AM VERY IMPATIENT GIRL 8) ]
but there was a specific remedy to the issue --firstly i have used wireless usb mouse to get into system settings ['Touchpad'] and there
i have ticked a box 'Tap on click' [there were no boxes visually shown at the moment --only activating one brought it to its fame];
then when i have gotten miraculously working touchpad [both with left button and tapping!] i was trying  to make screenshot and in a while
all the stuff was loaded and i have seen tickboxes radiobuttons the slider --all the controls!
and the keyboard has begun working at that point [actually i was trying only 'Tab' button for switching between desktop icons during my first unsuccessful installation attempt].
here are screenshots:

[mmm idk if images are attached --the preview does not show them :-\ ]

EDIT: uploading screenshots instead of linking to my wall @ social network [vk dot com slash the_nuckelavee]

Re: [SOLVED] [BUG OR MISSING DRIVER] troublesome installation of community-qt-openrc

Reply #5
oh thanks for a guidance tintin but i`ve found a remedy

Great.

My wife uses Artix XFCE OpenRC on an Intel 5200 with 4 GB of RAM (from 2012) for Internet, Office and Gimp.
I offered her a more recent machine because it suits her well and I must say she is right: her machine starts faster than mine, which is recent and quite powerful.
We also have an eMachines 350-21G Intel Atom N450 2GB RAM (Acer) from the same era.
It remains usable for small jobs and we have connected it to a printer.

Re: [SOLVED] [BUG OR MISSING DRIVER] troublesome installation of community-qt-openrc

Reply #6
Great.

My wife uses Artix XFCE OpenRC on an Intel 5200 with 4 GB of RAM (from 2012) for Internet, Office and Gimp.
I offered her a more recent machine because it suits her well and I must say she is right: her machine starts faster than mine, which is recent and quite powerful.
We also have an eMachines 350-21G Intel Atom N450 2GB RAM (Acer) from the same era.
It remains usable for small jobs and we have connected it to a printer.

now i am returning to XFCE from Qt/Plasma.
i am a programmer and my preferred language is C but i do not want to learn C++ and for deeper knowlege of linux system i MUST to stay in line with kernel developers [who are disapproving of Stroustrup`s creation, as you may know].
i am going to learn GTK and so Qt is out of my reach...
and in addition 'When The Sun Hits' i may grab one of my basses or to plug in a mic or jump to a score and then even A MINUTE is of great matter.
'My wife uses Artix XFCE OpenRC [...] her machine starts faster than mine, which is recent and quite powerful.'

Reply #7
now i am returning to XFCE from Qt/Plasma.
i am a programmer and my preferred language is C but i do not want to learn C++ .../...
and in addition 'When The Sun Hits' i may grab one of my basses or to plug in a mic or jump to a score and then even A MINUTE is of great matter.
Conclusions: don't play C++, play bass.  8)