Skip to main content
Topic: Packages Starting to Have Pipewire as Default - Updates (Community -> Galaxy) (Read 473 times) previous topic - next topic

Packages Starting to Have Pipewire as Default - Updates (Community -> Galaxy)

Need confirmation, not sure:

I may be wrong, but I've checked the new version of community/mpv 1:0.35.0-2 which landed more than an week ago in Community. I think that by default it has pipewire as output. If you update repo from galaxy/mpv 1:0.34.1-5-DIRTY to the new version this may result in: [ao/pipewire] Could not connect to context '(null)': Host is down

If you of course put --ao=pipewire it will resault in:
 "[ao/pipewire] Could not connect to context '(null)': Host is down
[ao] Failed to initialize audio driver 'pipewire'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound."

Beacase demon is not running.

Since pipewire is systemd dependent, it would be nice to put nice step by step procedure in wiki to prepare us all to the switch.
Piping pipewire down to pulseaudio makes no sence. Direct pipewire without pulse without latency and overhead should be better. Users are reporting 2%CPU drop using directly pipewire.

How to switch by default using just pipewire without pipewire connecting to pulseaudio and how to do it on non-systemd Artix. I use runit with the "sub-folder".

Thanks.

Re: Packages Starting to Have Pipewire as Default - Updates (Community -> Galaxy)

Reply #2
mpv just probes pipewire first in its list of audio outputs. No need to feel compelled to switch to something else if you don't want to. It's not like any other of the AOs are going to go anywhere.