Skip to main content
Topic: Since install, high CPU usage and PC grinding/chiming sounds (Read 748 times) previous topic - next topic

Since install, high CPU usage and PC grinding/chiming sounds

Please move the thread, as im really not sure where to post this in. Thank you.

Anyways, I just installed Artix and i came before i configure anythig into 2 bad problems. The first one is:

1. My Computer, physical tower, is making noises as if a lego motor is spinning around as soons as I open any application or even just scroll! Why is that? since I installed Artix, this problem is. 

2. My CPU gets extremely high just by MOVING THE MOUSE, when I open htop it sometimes gets to 100 percent on some cores and when i do ANYTHING its always at around 50%. not even windows, with chrome 20 tabs and a high quality game will give me that much or it WILL give me that much. But here its the default?! Specs and htop in picture. Thank you.

Also, my internet is weirdly slow since. Perhaps its just the browser im not sure. Websites load long, DNS maybe? i dunno.

Re: Since install, high CPU usage and PC grinding/chiming sounds

Reply #1
Well something up with falkon at the very least.

Close falkon. Does the problem go away. If it does you could try deleting ~/.config/falkon

Reply #2
Well something up with falkon at the very least.

Close falkon. Does the problem go away. If it does you could try deleting ~/.config/falkon

before I delete the config file for falkon, can you please tell me what it is and what it does? before i delete something important like this
edit: OOpps just saw its the browser didnt want this anyways, ill install firefox wait.

Reply #3
before I delete the config file for falkon, can you please tell me what it is and what it does? before i delete something important like this
edit: OOpps just saw its the browser didnt want this anyways, ill install firefox wait.
It has the config for falkon plus any extensions etc.
I nearly wrote how to backup instead of delete but as you said it's a new instalation didn't.

Anyhow:
Close falkon
Code: [Select]
mv ~/.config/falkon ~/.config/falkon.bak
Start falkon (a new ~/.config/falkon will be created)  and open some webpages
check htop

Reply #4
It has the config for falkon plus any extensions etc.
I nearly wrote how to backup instead of delete but as you said it's a new instalation didn't.

Anyhow:
Close falkon
Code: [Select]
mv ~/.config/falkon ~/.config/falkon.bak
Start falkon (a new ~/.config/falkon will be created)  and open some webpages
check htop

I did do that and its the same thing, /usr/bin/falkon also does much, ill just install firefox. MY last distro got fucked up because i screwed permissions. Shouldi use sudo to isntall firefo or add myself to a group so i dont need to? new to linux, what groups should i even add myself to?

Reply #5
Can you show htop, sorted by cpu use as before, without falkon running please ?

Reply #7
To state the blindingly obvious something is horribly wrong!

Which iso did you install ?
Have you done a full system update since ?

Reply #8
To state the blindingly obvious something is horribly wrong!

Which iso did you install ?
Have you done a full system update since ?

So, i used the official stable release ISO from the website. OpenRC KDE and verified it with GPG and the shasum. I then burned it onto my usb drive after some problems it finally worked. THen when booting i got a blackscreen so i disabled CSM, now I was able to boot the stick and install it. After i installed it yesterday (that problem already was yesterday) i put in Sudo pacman -Syu and updated. It wanted to replace 2 or 3 things like atk instead of world/atk-2phjgoud something. and that was it.

The chiming/grinding sounds were yesteday there already and these CPU problems also.

Reply #9
I'm at a loss atm to think what it could be . Or at least suspect trying to work it out probably isn't worth the time spent on a brand new install.

Maybe try again with with the weekly build ?
https://download.artixlinux.org/weekly-iso/artix-plasma-openrc-20230111-x86_64.iso

Or possibly someone else will pop up on the tread with another idea ?

Reply #10
I'm at a loss atm to think what it could be . Or at least suspect trying to work it out probably isn't worth the time spent on a brand new install.

Maybe try again with with the weekly build ?
https://download.artixlinux.org/weekly-iso/artix-plasma-openrc-20230111-x86_64.iso

Or possibly someone else will pop up on the tread with another idea ?

And its not only that, but everytime the screen goes black because of how long im away and i move the mouse or type something it lights up but stays black. And that forever i always need to turn it on and off again. on the new iso should I even use KDE? since on htop so much is from something of KDE. Or should i base install?

Reply #11
on the new iso should I even use KDE? since on htop so much is from something of KDE. Or should i base install?
I use openrc and KDE. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that selection.

As to the base install I'd say yes if you have the experience to do so. You start with a blank slate. Or at least blanker.
I've never actually installed Artix with an iso except to quickly test something in a VM.

You can install it into a spare partition from the comfort of another running distro https://gitea.artixlinux.org/artix/artix-bootstrap
But you need to know what you are doing. For geeks it's fun though.

Reply #12
I use openrc and KDE. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that selection.

As to the base install I'd say yes if you have the experience to do so. You start with a blank slate. Or at least blanker.
I've never actually installed Artix with an iso except to quickly test something in a VM.

You can install it into a spare partition from the comfort of another running distro https://gitea.artixlinux.org/artix/artix-bootstrap
But you need to know what you are doing. For geeks it's fun though.

This is my second week using linux ever in my life and artix is my second distro i ever had, i feel a bit shit that im not gonna install it onto a spare partition but right now i just want to have artix working and install all the stuff I need. I plan on learning gentoo inside a VM anyways so i suppose i will have opportunities to learn setting all that up. Is it bad that im right now too lazy to base install artix? since i just want it to work now and wanna start installing my software? :(

Reply #13
Is it bad that im right now too lazy to base install artix? since i just want it to work now and wanna start installing my software? :(

Not at all. And with what you say regarding experience I wouldn't advise it.
Try the weekly build iso imho.

Reply #14
on the new iso should I even use KDE? since on htop so much is from something of KDE. Or should i base install?
KDE has a long history of not working well with nvidia cards. In your last screenshot, plasmashell is shooting through the roof. You can confirm this bug by booting an other live ISO (e.g. artix-mate) and testing. Also, since 2 weeks our weekly ISOs come with the binary nvidia driver pre-installed and you could test your luck with today's plasma ISO, the one @gripped suggested.