Skip to main content
Topic: Recent kernel update breaking 5GHz networks (Read 352 times) previous topic - next topic

Recent kernel update breaking 5GHz networks

Just a heads-up for anyone having the same problem.
The recent kernel update linux-6.1.4.artix1-1-x86_64 broke 5GHz network scanning on wpa_supplicant on my end.
  • 2.4GHz networks are found just fine on scan_results.
  • No 5GHz networks are found on scan_results, when there should be at least my home one.
  • I did not test any other wifi manager or network manager.
  • Downgrading to linux-6.0.12.artix1-1-x86_64 fixes the issue.
  • Using wpa_supplicant-2:2.10-8
Please tell me if I need to provide more information, I hope this is the right place to post this.

EDIT:
Code: [Select]
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 82MF v: IdeaPad 3 15ALC6
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
    vendor: Lenovo driver: rtw_8822ce v: N/A port: 2000 bus-ID: 01:00.0

Also found this while searching, could be relevant as it seems to be a Lenovo network card specific issue as I possess the same chip: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=2281833

Re: Recent kernel update breaking 5GHz networks

Reply #1
My first thought would be to search for (and post) your exact wifi chip and kernel module to see if others are having the same issue.
It could be a known kernel regression ?

Reply #2
There have been a lot of breakages in wifi and sound for embedded devices in 6.1.3-6.1.4 for some reason, nothing we/arch upstream can do, for now refrain from upgrading or use lts.

Reply #3
My first thought would be to search for (and post) your exact wifi chip and kernel module to see if others are having the same issue.
It could be a known kernel regression ?
There have been a lot of breakages in wifi and sound for embedded devices in 6.1.3-6.1.4 for some reason, nothing we/arch upstream can do, for now refrain from upgrading or use lts.
Seems to be the case, found people across different distributions with the exact same issue. Thank you for the info, will not be upgrading.