Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] xfce iso not booting to gui (Read 1759 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: xfce iso not booting to gui

Reply #15
found!
here too new nvidia drivers preinstalled at iso for my old videocard
how make nouveau working?

I was wrong in what I thought before. X is the problem. If you look in the log it's finding the nouveau driver but not using it then trying with fbdev.

Do you still have the older ISO ?
If not there is one here https://iso.artixlinux.org/archived-iso/artix-xfce-openrc-20220713-x86_64.iso

Path of least resistance:
Install from the older iso then update the system. Gets you to the same place hopefully.

Worked! Thank you dear friend! :)
here preinstaled nouveau and no proprietary nvidia

but why at new iso builds using propietary nvidia not nouveau?
-=linux its buggy crap that have no antifool protection (c)=- :)
*linux is free software, and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY* :)
+ALL YOURS ACTIONS at Linux YOU DO at YOUR OWN RISK!+ :)

Reply #16
Absolutely no clue.
Maybe both iso's have both drivers?
You'd need an expert on the iso's and/or Calamares.

Hopefully someone will see this thread and try to improve it. It could be a problem that only effects a small amount of hardware a or bigger issue? Again no clue.

Glad you got it working though.

Reply #17
Absolutely no clue.
Maybe both iso's have both drivers?
You'd need an expert on the iso's and/or Calamares.

Hopefully someone will see this thread and try to improve it. It could be a problem that only effects a small amount of hardware a or bigger issue? Again no clue.

Glad you got it working though.
if have both why at first try using proprietary drivers, its unusually

Reply #18
if have both why at first try using proprietary drivers, its unusually
The error you saw was the kernel failing to load a nvidia module. That naturally comes earlier than the start of X.
Further than that no idea or interest really.

Reply #19
The nvidia module load error is innocuous; Xorg will try to use the best graphics driver available in order of performance, unless instructed otherwise. That said, lightdm is known to fail launching occasionaly and you should try another login manager to be sure. For best results, use the latest AUR nvidia-NNNxx-dkms package supporting your GPU.

Reply #20
The nvidia module load error is innocuous; Xorg will try to use the best graphics driver available in order of performance, unless instructed otherwise. That said, lightdm is known to fail launching occasionaly and you should try another login manager to be sure. For best results, use the latest AUR nvidia-NNNxx-dkms package supporting your GPU.
but how i switch to another if I can't do anything?

why its not booting standard method using nouveau?

it not good using proprietary driver at live iso!

lets you make default nouveau driver for booting live iso and users decide what is needed later, after booting to live or after installing os!?

Reply #21
The nvidia GPU driver is open sourced (or something similar) since almost a year and your computer isn't using it anyway. As I said, you can instruct it to use nouveau, just follow the instructions of the Arch wiki which totally apply to Artix.

Reply #22
what are you talking about!?

i am talking about recently official live artix iso with DE

why at last artix iso, preinstalled new nvidia proprietary driver and when i am booting to live os, by default it trying loading proprietary driver instead nouveau!?

Reply #23
I'm talking about your inability to follow simple instructions. Artix is clearly not for you.

Reply #24
LoL what!?

Simple instructions!?

1. i am download live iso
2. its not working because using proprietary driver instead nouveau
3. what i am do wrong!?

thats your artix broken and not following standards!
i am asking at second why last live isos using proprietery driver instead nouveau by default at boot?
in my case too new proprietary not working!
please make live iso with default nouveau driver!

PS kernel boot parameters using nouveau not working at yours live iso

Reply #25
You were given the simple instructions of following the Arch wiki for forcing nouveau, can't really get much simpler.

1. i am download live iso
2. its not working because using proprietary driver instead nouveau
3. what i am do wrong!?
Let me explain for the last time: your system DOESN'T USE the nvidia driver.

thats your artix broken and not following standards!
Today's "standards" dictate systemd, thank you. Now, our long time users know what's coming next.

Reply #26

Let me explain for the last time: your system DOESN'T USE the nvidia driver.

How it can be? I have nvidia card gf 9800. 5xx driver that preinstalled in artix last iso not working with my old card. Please give me "simple instruction" how i can use last artix with nouveau?

Reply #27
That NVIDIA card was released in 2008, it seems. My experience with XFCE on similar age NVIDIA hw is that it has been giving more and more problems since they introduced some hw accel code. I stopped using it so am not sure of the latest state of affairs. For an old card like that I would advise switching to the quite similar MATE desktop instead, and switching off acceleration in the desktop and browser settings. Chromium is better with old hardware than Firefox if you experience crashes or website specific issues, or use a Mozilla fork based on an older version of Firefox. Other distros may use older versions of things so give different results. 15 year old hw is more likely to get worse on updates rather than better, unfortunately, although if you are careful you can still get mileage out of it.
It's normal for the xorg log to show all sorts of drivers being loaded and unloaded during the boot process, I doubt it's failing because the proprietary NVIDIA drivers are being loaded, but who knows. I would probably start with the base iso and get that installed so I knew there was nothing involved except what I had installed , then build on that to try and debug things, but I couldn't give you a simple step by step guide as I would just be trying things and making it up as I went along depending on what happened and searching stuff online!
You could try nomodeset on the kernel commandline at boot, although this is not great for regular use it could get you to the desktop.

Reply #28
What is this thread even about any more ?
@deepforest you stated you got Artix installed using the older ISO. Once you've done a full system update the resulting system is all brand new.

Reply #29
yes, agree :)
i am just curious at this case,
how make work last arix iso at my gf9800?
where and what kernel boot parameter i am must set?