Skip to main content
Topic: Need help to install Cinnamon (Read 700 times) previous topic - next topic

Need help to install Cinnamon

New here.  I've installed Artix and it runs fine in Command Line.

I installed LightDM and added it to openrc default.  Looks like it starts up.

I have used pacman to "install" Cinnamon.  Files downloaded without any error messages.  Did a reboot and I'm still in CLI.

Do I have to modify a config in LightDM to get it to start Cinnamon?  Is there an article somewhere?

Off topic, I'm loving openrc.  Very simple.  No need for systemd.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Need help to install Cinnamon

Reply #1
o

Reply #2
Update:
I installed nvidia-xconfig (nvidia-utils package) and ran that.  Got rid of the blinking cursor screen of death I ran into from time to time.

I removed lightdm and installed gdm.

Rebooted and got a gui log in and everything.  However it looks like I'm in mate.  I've never used mate and don't know what it looks like, but as a hint it has an "Activities" button top left and nothing on the bottom bar.  Also has "Airplane mode" top right.   I'm guessing this is Mate.

Some progress. Thunderbird and Brave work fine.  Rather snappy.   So now the question is how do I run cinnamon on GDM?

Thanks.

Reply #3
Did some research.  When the log in screen appears, I pick my login name.  A gear icon appears lower right.  I clicked on that and it was on "GNOME", which for me is a ruined DE, but that's me.

I picked Cinnamon and entered my password.  The screen winked to black, and the login screen appeared again.  I picked Mate and entered the password.  Same thing happened.  I picked GNOME and logged in no problem.  Let me know if you all have any troubleshooting tips.

I'm at a loss.  I've done the whole install via CLI, a first for me.  If needed I'll use the graphical installer.  Can I launch that from my current set up, or do I need to start from scratch?

Thanks.

Reply #4
Firstly, congratulations on installing from the CLI, well done!

I presume  you are aware that there is a Cinnamon release of Artix? That surely would be the easiest way to get the DE of your choice. I don't mean to discourage you from learning more about CLI installation though, if you have room, why not have both installations on board?

Reply #5
I'm at a loss.  I've done the whole install via CLI, a first for me.  If needed I'll use the graphical installer.  Can I launch that from my current set up, or do I need to start from scratch?
Check your ~/.xsession-errors for possible explanation about Cinnamon not starting.

Reply #6
hi there, well done for the cli install, but not really sure how your system managed to install gnome and mate too!  Either way, now you know you can, go the easy route and load up one of the pure cinnamon .iso's with the calamares installers, no shame in that and you'll get exactly what you want (that's what i did, cli first just to see, then a ready made cin .iso).  Enjoy.

Re: Need help to install Cinnamon{SOLVED]

Reply #7
Updating from my Artix box running cinnamon.  Short story, driver problem with older nvidia had me confused coupled with a lack of an xconfig file.  I'll post in the How To section going through a more detailed solution.  Other newbies like myself may encounter the same problem, so it will help them.

Thanks for everyone replying. 

And it was all through CLI, a first for me.

Reply #8
I'm glad you have sorted the problem, and thanks for detailing how to do it in another post, enjoy  :)