Skip to main content
Topic: Arch Linux forum moderators banned me. Goodbye Arch Linux! Hello Artix Linux! (Read 741 times) previous topic - next topic

Arch Linux forum moderators banned me. Goodbye Arch Linux! Hello Artix Linux!

I've been banned from the Arch Linux Forum for having a "duplicate" account. 

I simply couldn't find a way to change my account name, so I created a new one and stopped using the old one. 
That was apparently enough for the Arch Linux moderators to ban me. 
I asked them to delete my old account and I've gotten the reply back with nothing more than a link 
to a forum post that I can't read as having  been banned. 

[EDIT]
I have since read the post to which I'm banned from reading,
which contains some ruling about how no account username changes and deletions are possible
on Arch Linux as that would take away valuable time from the moderators. 

That's insane! 
I'm never coming back there! 
[/EDIT]

The question I had in the forum was about creating a custom made Arch Linux vagrant box for my servers. 
I was getting multiple errors to which I've finally found most of the causes. 
They might have also banned me for that reason, as I suspect that in their eyes, a custom-made Arch Linux box
is enough to warrant it non-Arch Linux and thus enough reason to ban someone. 

[EDIT]
I've been banned various times before for asking pure Arch questions but using
Arch!Bang, ArkOS and Parabola/GNU linux-libre as all three had very small communities. 
[/EDIT]

I'm so fed up with them, that I'm planning to no longer going to use Arch Linux for my Linux servers.
I already heard of Artix Linux before, so I thought this is a best time as ever to make that switch. 

I'm hoping this will be as positive an experience as the time I've moved from Mate/Cinnamon to XFCE. 

[EDIT]
I would like to add that Arch Linux otherwise has otherwise been a great experience for me. 
Hence why I'm here. 
[/EDIT]

Re: Arch Linux forum moderators banned me. Goodbye Arch Linux! Hello Artix Linux!

Reply #1
Having been variously threatened in the Arch Fora for misdemeanours (possibly related to ArchBang) I sympathise with your position.

It seems like Arch Fora are patrolled by quite aggressive people who also monitor related distro postings to check for dissidents.

Of course banning people by email is pretty useless given how easy it is to obtain email addresses; I guess it makes them feel better.

Re: Arch Linux forum moderators banned me. Goodbye Arch Linux! Hello Artix Linux!

Reply #2
I forgot to add that I've had that experience as well multiplied by three. 
This was the final straw. 

I can't take their aggression anymore, so I'm really glad there exists "another Arch". 

I love systemD compared to SysV and Upstart due to how it's commands are structured. 

Code: [Select]
systemctl enable
systemctl disable
systemctl start
systemctl stop
systemctl restart
systemctl status

Plus the way the service files are structured. 

But I liked Unity and Cinnamon too, until I tried XFCE
as I've moved to a small silent desktop and needed a desktop environment, 
that's light on resources.  
When I managed to break XFCE,  I was pleasantly surprised that
instead of being thrown into prompt,
a single panel was missing instead. 

I've heard that SystemD has similar issues, 
so I'm going for dinit since it seems like the closest to what I like. 

Reply #3
We'll see don't use the same username in all forums and don't title your forum post alike across different forums   that way when the do a Google search, your post won't come up as connected to you.  

Also try dinit if you like simple command structure.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #4
Also. (And this is a big also). Arch really isn't suited for servers.   Debian or Ubuntu are better choices for servers as they run stable.  You want long term stable systems for servers.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #5
A lot of people do use Arch based distros for servers though - if you've ever done a version upgrade on Debian then you'd know why, hours sat watching it slowly update and answering the occasional stupid question when they appear at regular intervals so you can't walk away and leave it. The Arch forum is notable for their unyielding attitude, and they are more friendly now than they were when systemd came out and they simply issued ultimatums like "use this or leave Arch!"
But don't worry about it too much, at the end of the day it's all just some squiggles on an illuminated plastic screen and you can go and look at something different if you want! ;D