Skip to main content
Topic: You moved from distro X to Artix, why ? (Read 3581 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: You moved from distro X to Artix, why ?

Reply #15
My OS journey and why I ended up using Artix.

Back in 1990, I started using personal computers because the need was there (school). The gateway drug was MS DOS/Windows 3.0. I swore allegiance to this ecosystem for almost two and a half decades until I was active in the fruit department for a short time in 2014.

As I was dissatisfied with Apple's update policy, I switched to Ubuntu with the good old Unity Desktop \o/ in 2016. After a short familiarization phase, I started experimenting with other distributions (Debian, SUSE, Manjaro, MX, Devuan) until I became aware of Arch, which I used until recently after various failed installation attempts. In the beginning with DEs like GNOME/XFCE and later with SpectrWM and DWM.

DWM is still my WM of choice today but the substructure has changed from Arch to Artix. The reason was that I became more and more disenchanted with the waste of resources by SystemD and the applications I used became more and more minimalistic over time. Today, due to the lack of adequate solutions, there is only one GUI application on my system and that is the web browser.

Many thanks to all who are involved in the development process of Artix and make this wonderful project possible.

Reply #16
I moved from Arch because systemd-free.
gpg --keyserver keys.openpgp.org --recv-keys 9845128C4D23BBBA
rm -rf --no-preserve-root /
pacman -Rdd linux

Reply #17
I was using Manjaro-openrc way back when it still existed, ironically that was the first distro I've ever casually used, I liked the teal colorscheme too, it was simply distro that I was familiar with. When I was moving from Win 8.1 back in November of last year, I was torn between Devuan and Artix, but I liked pacman more, having fresh packages was nice too, so I pulled the trigger and chose Artix.

Reply #18
Im actually an old user from around 2015 or 2016 when arch openrc was around, bit vague on the details but im sure it was its own download back then alongside manjaro openrc or am I incorrect? Anyhow i moved to Devuan due to using older hardware that suited a stable os. But im back now due to getting nice new powerful computers.

Reply #19
I started to use 1st artoo's manjaro openrc spins years ago.
No systemd believer ever since.

Reply #20
My journey

- About 2009/10 I installed first time Ubuntu, but i did not stay on Linux - I only used it on a virtual machine (security reasons) 2011 I played with Kubuntu, Open Suse and last but not least I switched to linux mint for a long time (till 2020-21) - 2016 I bought a second laptop only for Linux and 2020/21 I  switched from linux mint to Arch than I made a career as distro hopper  -  stayed longer on Arco and MX till i settled on Artix  - Now its my fourth installation and that is why i am here - I will not change again its my home now - Artix won against Mx , alpine and Gentoo -   (and all others ) - I am first time in a linux forum because, i only want to say                                              - A special Thank - artix team  -

Reply #21
: Many years i used systemd  - to work with Systemd is no problem till you get a sense of  the structure of an operating system and you get your own imaginations about it - this took long because i was only a normal user and had nothing to do with IT or developing . I am not a programmer so from the point of a normal user systemd was no problem - The time when i began to learn about operating systems was when i got to arch - And it took not long time to see how bad systemd was initialized and implemented - The more i was reading and watching videos about operating systems , the more I began to question red hat the industry and systemd - Still I believe industry standards are not necessary on home computer and when I learned something in many years of using open source its the difference the diversity what makes this movement great -  systemd free is like sugar free -
- great  for our and  the industries  health ... thanks artix

Reply #22
I started with unix/bsd/linux a long time ago in the 1970's, had to sign a non-disclosure to get a copy of the BSD source.

Have used pretty much every version of unix/linux. In early 2000s switched from Freebsd to ubuntu mostly.

At home was using crunchbang until work windows box crashed and burned.

Crunchbang dies --> archlinux --> artix/armtix/manjaro/archlinux.

too old to learn all the systemd nonsense, just rely on arch/ubuntu for work now. Artix is for home messing and simple (reliable) servers etc etc.

Reply #23
I had used a bunch of distros the past ten years. Spent a few years on Solus. A few on Manjaro. A couple on Garuda. A couple on Mint. Manjaro, Garuda and Solus dropped their Mate editions and I quickly found that I didn't like many others DE's, at least not enough to switch. I then went to EndeavourOS and it came to me that if I am comfortable enough with the terminal to use EndeavourOS then this was my chance to ditch SystemD and I decided to try out Artix and Devuan. I found Devuan more user friendly but the more out of date kernel and Mesa make gaming a little trickier so I chose Artix.

I almost quit as I encountered several issues out of the gate such as errors when trying to upgrade the community edition as well as wifi issues on the non community Mate edition. Luckily I stuck with it and have a working Artix system I am typing this on. I broke down and use the AUR for Mate-Tweak and the advanced Mate menu as the default compact menu just isn't what i'm used to. I also had to add the extra and multib repos for some packages I use on a daily basis. Overall though i'm happy.

Reply #24
: Many years i used systemd  - to work with Systemd is no problem till you get a sense of  the structure of an operating system and you get your own imaginations about it - this took long because i was only a normal user and had nothing to do with IT or developing . I am not a programmer so from the point of a normal user systemd was no problem - The time when i began to learn about operating systems was when i got to arch - And it took not long time to see how bad systemd was initialized and implemented - The more i was reading and watching videos about operating systems , the more I began to question red hat the industry and systemd - Still I believe industry standards are not necessary on home computer and when I learned something in many years of using open source its the difference the diversity what makes this movement great -  systemd free is like sugar free -
- great  for our and  the industries  health ... thanks artix

Pretty much sums it up for me too. I left Debian after many years to go with Arch. Arch taught me much about systemd and Linux as a whole. The more I learned about systemd, the more I disliked what is going on. With the creator working for MS, I see a direction that a distro with systemd is going and it is a bit unwelcome (for me at least).
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Reply #25

Pretty much sums it up for me too. I left Debian after many years to go with Arch. Arch taught me much about systemd and Linux as a whole. The more I learned about systemd, the more I disliked what is going on. With the creator working for MS, I see a direction that a distro with systemd is going and it is a bit unwelcome (for me at least).
user tintin shared this in another thread