Skip to main content
Topic: start-stop-daemon in errors.log (Read 3633 times) previous topic - next topic

start-stop-daemon in errors.log

taking a peek at /var/log and came across these in errors.log:

Code: [Select]
/etc/init.d/xdm[4597]: start-stop-daemon: no matching processes found
/etc/init.d/cupsd[4821]: start-stop-daemon: no matching processes found
/etc/init.d/acpid[4944]: start-stop-daemon: no matching processes found
openrc[1254]: Error: fopen(/run/openrc/rc.log) failed: No such file or directory

Running "rc-status --all" tells me that xdm, cupsd, and acpid are running so these messages can probably be safe to ignore. But....
 I'd really like this fixed because they are populating my log files for no real reason wasting log and hard drive space.

Now, not exactly sure why fopen is looking for rc.log in /run/openrc when its actually in /var/log . There has to be some file to edit just not sure which one. Perhaps someone can shed some light.

Thanks

Re: start-stop-daemon in errors.log

Reply #1
Please update to openrc 0.31.2 it fixes those errors.
Chris Cromer

Reply #2
Thank you

Been too busy to check for updates.

Edit: Just checked for updates and it wasn't there so I take it that openrc 0.31.2 is still in testing?

Reply #3
Correct it is in testing.
Chris Cromer

Reply #4
on openrc 0.34.1 I'm still getting the
openrc[1254]: Error: fopen(/run/openrc/rc.log) failed: No such file or directory
error

Reply #5
on openrc 0.34.1 I'm still getting the
error
The error about No such file makes me think you have a bad setting. Check your /etc/rc.conf file.
Look for the rc_log_path directive. Normally, it is commented and defaulted to /var/log/rc.log.

Reply #6
Check your /etc/rc.conf file.
Look for the rc_log_path directive. Normally, it is commented and defaulted to /var/log/rc.log.
yeah mine's set to /var/log/messages.log
the error is related more to the tty, as it always happens right after the creation of the vc:
Code: [Select]
=> Running command line: /sbin/agetty tty1 38400 linux  - user
=> Running command line: /sbin/agetty tty2 38400 linux  - user
=> Running command line: /sbin/agetty tty3 38400 linux  - user
=> Running command line: /sbin/agetty tty4 38400 linux  - user
=> Running command line: /sbin/agetty tty5 38400 linux  - user
=> Running command line: /sbin/agetty tty6 38400 linux  - user
=> Error: fopen(/run/openrc/rc.log) failed: No such file or directory - daemon

I only see this error when switching to VC1 (CTRL-ALT-F1).  If I go to one of the other VCs the login looks normal.
the "- daemon" line makes me think there's some maybe leftover service from manjaro-openrc causing this?

Reply #7
the error is related more to the tty, as it always happens right after the creation of the vc:
I only see this error when switching to VC1 (CTRL-ALT-F1).  If I go to one of the other VCs the login looks normal.
the "- daemon" line makes me think there's some maybe leftover service from manjaro-openrc causing this?
My guess...it sounds like there is a badly formatted setting (missing quotation or similar).

Reply #8
well i've spent the past 2-3 weeks on this error:

Error: fopen(/run/openrc/rc.log) failed: No such file or directory - daemon

and found nothing on google, ddg, bing, qwant, or even on openrc's github (or any of the usual forums).  I've gone through all my rc scripts and settings, and I find nothing related to it.  If i do a "touch /run/openrc/rc.log" while logged in (via sddm/kde) and then switch to VT1 I get no error, but obv since the file exists the error wouldnt happen.  how/when this file would be generated by any script remains a mystery to me.

nothing on the system logs points to any other message other than the error itself.

The "daemon" part would lead one to expect a daemon to be calling for it, but alas, none of them seem to be.  It's not a problem, just a nag at this point, but I can safely ignore it.

Reply #9
I had this error once, when I installed just a base cli system.
I think this is caused by a missing depend package, but I have never figured out which package.
The error disappeared when I installed plasma, which likely pulled in the missing depend.

A wild guess would be, is libseccomp installed?
Do you run syslog-ng?

Reply #10
well i've spent the past 2-3 weeks on this error:

Error: fopen(/run/openrc/rc.log) failed: No such file or directory - daemon

I've seen this error as well. I've never really figured it out. On a couple of my machines, it magically disappeared (likely installed some package like artoo said). On another one, it still shows up. However, after I set openrc to start in parallel, that error only shows up occasionally. Sometimes, the system boots without that message. Other times, I see it. I don't really know what it means either.

Reply #11
A wild guess would be, is libseccomp installed?
Do you run syslog-ng?
yes and yes. syslog-ng is configured correctly and has been the same since manjaro-openrc, and shows the same error occuring with nothing prior or following it to indicate where it's coming from.

it's not a big deal since everything else is working and no daemons/services really seem affected (and only happens on the first switch from X to a vt, if i then open a second vt no error happens).  I thought maybe elogind, polkit or even dbus may be the culprit but I couldnt find anything

Reply #12
The error message comes from here:
https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/blob/master/src/rc/rc-logger.c
line 267    eerror("Error: fopen(%s) failed: %s", TMPLOG, strerror(errno));

rc-logger caches entries in a tmps file before writing them to the real log (sometimes, always?).
So either the tmp file isn't available when it should be or it is being requested when it shouldn't be I guess.