Skip to main content
Topic: (Wayland DE) Dolphin can't preform any actions on files. (Read 978 times) previous topic - next topic

(Wayland DE) Dolphin can't preform any actions on files.

So I have just installed Dolphin on my Hyprland WM and my init system is OpenRC.
When moving/coping/cutting or preforming any other actions on folders, dolphin does what you would expect it to do, it just does it.
But any time I try to do operation on a file I receive following error message from dolphin:
Code: [Select]
The file or folder Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying does not exist.
Initially after some initial searching I tought maybe kio workes weren't working but 'ps -aux | grep -i kio' cleary shows that they are running.
Also dolphin outputs following message to the console when I try to do any file operations:
kf.kio.widgets: Failed to check which JobView API is supported "The name org.kde.kuiserver was not provided by any .service files"
I would guess I am missing some package, but I have installed every required and optional package that dolphin lists.
Any ideas?

Re: Dolphin can't preform any actions on files.

Reply #1
Would be interesting to find out a different way/how do you now start hyprland, because that's got to be dbus acting up or not being started correctly by it. I'll edit the title so that the wayland guys can see it :-)

Re: (Wayland DE) Dolphin can't preform any actions on files.

Reply #2
I have edited tty1 service file to pass `--autologin my_username` to aggety.
After that my default shell, zsh, reads .zprofile (similar to .bash_profile)
if [[ $TTY = "/dev/tty1" ]] then;
sleep 1.2
Hyprland
fi
A note on the sleep command, because I set `rc_parallel="YES"` and `rc_depend_strict="NO`in `/etc/rc.confq, after system boots up, openrc for a moment makes my screen go black. While it's doing something with the screen Hyprland can't be started or it will crash.

Also about dbus, I just have it in the `default` run-level and it's started by OpenRC.
By running dbus-monitor I can see every time window is closed/open there are some dbus communication going on, so it seems to work.
I don't really have any experience with dbus so I don't know if that's the correct way to do it, but I would guess that it shouldn't really impact a file manager, dolphin.

Reply #3
I'm also experiencing this exact same issue, but with X11 and KDE plasma.
I'm using OpenRC and have dbus enabled (and can verify dbus traffic using dbus-monitor).
When attempting to paste any file using dolphin, I get this horrid error message:

The file or folder Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying does not exist.

For what it's worth, I'm starting plasma through sddm - and I'm starting sddm from openRC

Reply #4
Update:  In my case, the issue may have been caused by sddm starting its own dbus-daemon.  When I would log into plasma-x11 from sddm, two instances of dbus-daemon would run:  one owned by the sddm user and one owned by my user.

To workaround this, I'm starting plasma-x11 with "startx" and dolphin works fine and no second dbus daemon is started.

Hope this helps someone!

Reply #5
Okay so just recently I had another dbus issue and the fix was:
dbus-launch Hyprland
Since I don't use Dolphin anymore I can't check if it fixes it.
Hope it helps somebody :-)