Skip to main content
Topic: mencoder (Read 1177 times) previous topic - next topic

mencoder

[ruben@flatbush movies]$ mencoder
mencoder: error while loading shared libraries: libx264.so.152: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[ruben@flatbush movies]$

The system has
/usr/lib/libx264.so
/usr/lib/libx264.so.155

Re: mencoder

Reply #1
Maybe package got updated but lib didn't or the other way around? It'll get fixed eventually. In the meantime you could try
ln -s /usr/lib/libx264.so /usr/lib/libx264.so.152

Reply #2
Maybe package got updated but lib didn't or the other way around? It'll get fixed eventually. In the meantime you could try

Thanks for replying.

The community here strongy discourages the use of hard links like that when I have suggested that in the past.  They also hate 2 libraries, which in my mind is a much saner thing to do.  I all likelihood, however, the ap doesn't care if the version is higher as long as the version is not lower, but they package managers don't seem to often create packages that say, check for at least this version and use the straight .so library instead of the .so.xxx library

I really don't want to compile mencoder from scratch with its dozens of encoder libaries. :(

Reply #3
Hard link? But this is a soft link. And encouraged or not, at some point I had to resort to such means so that my desktop environment would actually start.

Reply #4
Hard link? But this is a soft link. And encouraged or not, at some point I had to resort to such means so that my desktop environment would actually start.

yes, I usually make hard links, although not always.