Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] New unrecognized services since a few dinit updates (Read 353 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] New unrecognized services since a few dinit updates

Ever since upgrading my system since last week I'm seeing new services pop up like these. Looking into one of the .target names, these seem to be used in Chimera Linux, not sure if that's really relevant to this.
Code: [Select]
[{+}     ] login.target (has console)
[{+}     ] local.target
[{+}     ] pre-local.target
[{+}     ] early-fs-local.target
[{+}     ] early-fs-pre.target
[{+}     ] early-devices.target
[{+}     ] udevd-early
[{+}     ] early-prepare.target
[{+}     ] root-ro
[{+}     ] pseudofs
[{+}     ] cgroups
[{+}     ] tmpfs
[{+}     ] kmod-static-nodes
[{+}     ] tmpfiles-dev
[{+}     ] udev-settle
[{+}     ] udev-trigger
[{+}     ] early-root-rw.target
[{+}     ] fsck-root
[{+}     ] early-fs-fstab.target
[{+}     ] fsck
[{+}     ] early-console.target
[{+}     ] early-keyboard.target

As you can see due to the "new" instance of the fsck service the system checks the partitions twice before login. Also root partition is remounted as ro and cryptsetup is also invoked by shutdown-hook, despite me not really using cryptsetup.

Code: [Select]
Unmounting filesystems 
remounting root read-only
Syncing disks
Locking crypt devices
/lib/dinit/shutdown-hook: line 20: /usr/lib/dinit/cryptsetup: No such file or directory
Disabling LVM
File descriptor 3 (/dev/console) leaked on vgchange invocation. Parent PID 612: /bin/sh

I never installed any dinit scripts recently apart from the libvirtd ones and I don't really know if this is intentionally added somehow in the upgrade.

Is any action necessary or is this intended?

Re: New unrecognized services since a few dinit updates

Reply #1
Is any action necessary or is this intended?

Partially, intentional. The old services was a mess and I decided to sort it out by adopting Chimera's target, so most of our startup services should have a clear dependency tree instead of the old mess, it's also to anticipate this issue.

As for your shutdown report re cryptsetup and LVM, I'm still ironing out the kinks.

No action is necessary for now aside of upgrading to the latest version.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Re: New unrecognized services since a few dinit updates

Reply #2
Ahh I see I see. Thank you for the reply and it makes sense. Despite dinit's simplicity it's very clear that it's meant to be used for more than what meets the eye. I wish you luck on this journey and since Chimera is already at it, I'm glad their codebase is helping you. Best of luck at making dinit awesome for Artix! I can't wait for the awesome updates. Marking as solved.

Re: [SOLVED] New unrecognized services since a few dinit updates

Reply #3
Also @konimex , one last thing, since this is a major rewrite, don't you think a post in the artix linux news section is good because users like me would be wondering what happened to their basic services as well or is it unnecessary?

Re: [SOLVED] New unrecognized services since a few dinit updates

Reply #4
Also @konimex , one last thing, since this is a major rewrite, don't you think a post in the artix linux news section is good because users like me would be wondering what happened to their basic services as well or is it unnecessary?

Originally, I want to make it as smooth as possible, users don't even notice there are major changes under the hood. Since from the users' point of view, ultimately nothing really changed. Booting a system and shutting it down still does what it does. There will be notice if I deprecate something though. Probably through dinit-rc.install file when you upgrade it through pacman.
now only the dinit guy in artix