Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Are certain Arch packages still missing from Artix repositories? (Read 600 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Are certain Arch packages still missing from Artix repositories?

I was grabbing emulators from pacman and I noticed this package was missing from the Artix repositories. https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/mednafen/
I checked Omniverse as well and it was not there. It's hardly important that it's not available, however it made me curious about whether or not other packages are excluded from the Artix repos, intentionally or not.

Re: Are certain Arch packages still missing from Artix repositories?

Reply #1
They aren't excluded, but in the beginning, before it was even called Artix, there were just enough packages to run with OpenRC instead of systemd, with everything else coming from the Arch repos, and it's grown from there. It simply hasn't finished growing yet.  ;D You can add the Arch repos following this guide if you want:
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Repositories
You don't have to though, there are other methods like building it yourself, possibly from an AUR variant if there's a suitable one, or finding some other non-standard repo that contains it somewhere.

Reply #2
I feel adding the Arch repos defeats the purpose of being on Artix :).
I only noticed because this is a weird case where and emulator:
A) Was actually in the official package repos
B) Currently is not in the Artix repos
C) An emulator that does not have a git AUR package since the developer just uploads source code snapshots whenever he feels like it so no real git repo to clone.
There are probably at least 2-3 different ways to get a decent Playstation emulator (what I was going to mednafen for) anyways. It's just that the factors above made this specific package practically unobtainable without compiling from source on Artix atm.

Reply #3
It's pretty normal for most distros based on something else to do this, including Devuan for example which uses a lot of Debian packages as standard, although it might be less obvious and transparent there exactly where the packages are sourced from. And remember Artix has lots of packages that are not available in Arch too, it's just the way things go unless there is some "infinite" repo that contains everything that ever used to, does, will or could  exist, although as it would take an infinite amount of time to search it wouldn't be much use.  ;D
Even Arch itself has stacks of non-standard repos you can add (these also can be useful in Artix) , besides using the AUR:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unofficial_user_repositories
 Perhaps now you've mentioned mednafen, it might get added to the repos sometime in future if there is some user demand - ie from you!

Reply #4
I feel adding the Arch repos defeats the purpose of being on Artix :).
That surely depends on what your purpose is ?
Mine is not having systemd as the init and having package management done by pacman.

Having the Arch repo's enabled has the positive that I get easy access to the packages Arch has but Artix doesn't.
A negative is more potential library issues. But I'm fairly confident in fixing those when they occur.
So how much of a negative this is depends on the users ability.

Reply #5
To reiterate, packages aren't excluded. Artix has its own repos and packages don't exist in them until someone includes them. Personally I bring in packages I want myself as well as fulfilling requests here on the forum.

I've added mednafen to galaxy.