Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Discord time incorrect (Read 273 times) previous topic - next topic

Discord time incorrect

Using Runit, with KDE Plasma, alongside a Windows Dual boot(separate drives).

I believe that I have my timezone set correctly, my Windows time is correct, BIOS time is correct, typing "date" , or "sudo hwclock --verbose" in the terminal outputs the correct time and timezone, the KDE digital clock is also correct. However when I sent a message on Discord the time is 4 hours ahead(like my Linux system was yesterday before I set Windows to UTC).

I have not been able to find a similar issue online that wasn't solved with setting the correct timezone in Linux(however I think I've already done that.)

Edit: Upon re reading my own post I see that Firefox(this post) is apparently 6 hrs ahead in terms of time. Have I possibly not fully set up my time zone?

Edit 2: The command "ls -l /etc/localtime" outputs the incorrect time (4 hrs ahead) it outputs "lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Jul  8 23:23 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada"
I am also getting the incorrect discord time on my windows partition.

Edit 3: I reinstalled my system the same way it was set up before, putting extra care into setting up the system clock according to the install guide on the wiki. I still have the same issue. I have learned that the "ls -l /etc/localtime" is actually showing a static time, Jul 10 22:58 and is not just slow.

Final Edit: SOLVED!! I'm not 100% sure what one thing i did that fixed it as i did a few things at once however. I logged into my windows partition set the correct timezone and time in UTC. I powered off my computer and removed the SSD with Windows on it. Signed into my Linux partition changed the localtime from UTC to the correct one ("Canada/Eastern" in my case) checked discord and the time was correct. put my Windows SSD back into the computer and voila things are working correctly.

Throughout Heaven and Earth, I Alone Am The Honored One

Re: Discord time incorrect

Reply #1
Absolute shoot in the dark but I believe it could simply be a privacy setting in the browser. I use Librewolf and both on Windows when I used to use that and Linux the timezone never matched the PC clock.

Reply #2
I've looked at the settings and while I may have missed something I don't think that is the case. It turns out my Windows partition also has the same issue with Discord being incorrect and on Windows I use Brave browser having the same issue there.
this website What is my timezone says the "time on server" is the only time that is incorrect.

Reply #3
Out of curiosity is your PC newer than 4-5 years old?

Try within Windows once you're done with it for the day to set a wrong timezone from there before rebooting.

Reply #4
I built my PC and have changed parts here and there but the oldest part is the CPU, it is an Intel i5 8600k which came out in 2017.

I bugged around with the time in windows and it did not alter anything on my Linux system.

I also reinstalled Linux (Artix, runit, kdeplasma) and still have the same issue however using the command "ls -l /etc/localtime" actually is showing a static time of when I set up the localtime during the install. No amount of reboots, or time away from my computer has cahnged this. it outputs "lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Jul 10 22:58 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/*City I live*" even though it is currently 4:30am