Skip to main content
Topic: Indistinguishable arrows on black theme in LXQt - alternatives? (Read 319 times) previous topic - next topic

Indistinguishable arrows on black theme in LXQt - alternatives?

Every time I try another distro with LXQt I boot to livecd and see this dark theme with unfinished look where arrows back and forward are indistinguishable from active not-active state. With other minor flaws this gives impression of unfinished job. I put this DE aside, and wait to give it a try another time. And cycle repeats for years.

Are there better icons for dark theme? Where is better to address the issue?

Re: Who creates bad black theme used in LXQt are there better alternatives?

Reply #1
You could start by giving an example screenshot with the "correct" appearance. Preferably also with details of the configuration.

Oh, and thank you for your kind words.

Reply #2
Hello!
I can't give example of correct LXQt dark arrow icons because I see this pale arrows on all distributions. Even latest Fedora lxqt screenshots are same.

This are arrows from MATE, it is easy to distinguish active from inactive.

Reply #3
I didn’t want to criticize your work. I was happy Artix user for 1.5 year, but I like to try another non-systemd distros. However for my relatives I install Artix as it has good preconfigured desktop.
I always was curious to try LXQt but it didn’t look good enough to recommend for someone. Regardless of distribution.

Many things improved with lxqt/de desktop. Window borders now visually separated when overlapping. It is not easy to do this without compositor and shadows. Specially on dark themes. But this is solved with highlighted window borders.
Pale buttons stayed so I decided to investigate thing that intrigued me for years. LXQt team doesn't care, so I asked here.

Reply #4
Want to mention one more thing.  I like MATE for its easy readable interface. You don't need to guess or put a mouse pointer on icon to tell what it does. It usually speaks for itself. But system-tray icons are very low contrast. You need to have a good look to say what the button does: volume. Internet.

Re: Indistinguishable arrows on black theme in LXQt - alternatives?

Reply #5
lxqt under just about anything which hasn't has a lot of intervention is pretty bland (that puts Artix a step ahead of full fat Arch with its custom theme).....however, once gestures for swipes/pinches etc has been configured, as well as installing a compositor (picom or compton) and shading/transparency of inactive windows is also configured, then it starts to  get real good and pretty much as fast in real terms as any DE is.   But, it is all a bit disjointed and requires additional config for the wm being used, and the gtk apps are terrors for ignoring scaling (which is QT), and add icon sets etc, and it gets nice.  As an example, here's a Void install i did thats pretty much the same as configuring  lxqt under artix, with the exception artix didn't play very well with lightdm (to negate the need to use that 1980's looking  screensaver, xscreensaver). 

Reply #6
Most profitable solution by far:
Code: [Select]
$ pacman -Ss icon-theme
People, we're talking about visuals here and no 2 people can agree on the same standard.

Also, last time I checked Void only provides base and xfce images, which means the screenshot is from a user customization and the comparison is unfair.

Reply #7
Most profitable solution by far:
Code: [Select]
$ pacman -Ss icon-theme
People, we're talking about visuals here and no 2 people can agree on the same standard.

Also, last time I checked Void only provides base and xfce images, which means the screenshot is from a user customization and the comparison is unfair.

utter tosh!  If  you read and understood what was written, it is 100% a direct comparison for a post vanilla DE lxqt install configuration/customisation.....,i guess the clue was in the line "thats pretty much the same as configuring  lxqt under artix", which it is.  Had artix looking and behaving exactly the same as with void, and devuan btw.   It was an example of what can be done to make it a more personal experience, and could just as easily and applicably been written on an Arch/Debian/Fedora blah blah blah based thread.     G

Reply #8
It's a given that DE/WM configuration shouldn't be affected by the distro it runs on. A "100% direct comparison" would include a side-by-side screenshot from Artix.