Skip to main content
Topic: Openbox icons bugging out, looking for new window manager (Read 1408 times) previous topic - next topic

Openbox icons bugging out, looking for new window manager

Hey everybody!

I'm looking for a new window manager to use since it doesn't look like there's a fix for openbox anywhere in sight, I want to find a window manager that either can use openbox themes or has plenty of good themes that'll match the LXDE themes I've got, and that'll work well with LXDE.

I need blue, green and red themes for whatever window manager I choose.... I am currently using the nightmare(nightmare-1 -2 and -3) themes in openbox and the plasma (plasma_fire _shock & _bolt) themes in LXDE.

If anyone knows how to fix the icons bugging out in openbox I'd love to hear it..... I tried XFCE thinking it was LXDE being the problem but when I switched to openbox in XFCE it did the exact same thing! NetworkManager, blueman, mate-power-manager, and some other things bug out when on the tray.... I haven't been able to see wireless signal strength on the tray icon for months now -_-
It does this to me on all my computers! And on 1 or 2 computers I have different Linux distros too, so it has to be something with openbox or some other package, but I think its gotta be openbox.

Re: Openbox icons bugging out, looking for new window manager

Reply #1
I would try FluxBox if I was forced to abandon OpenBox.

But I do not believe this bug is caused directly by OpenBox. As far as I know there was no major nor minor update for OB in a long time... (I am so sad that there are no new features and also very glad that it is very stable).

I would suspect that compositor has some error, IIRC LXDE might use compton and I saw that there were some updates of it. Or it does not like your GPU drivers ?

But I did not have a an opportunity to update in a long time so I only think of possibilities.

Reply #2
Hey

I tried fluxbox but i have no idea how to get into terminal there cuz xterm wont open same with firefox
And while i have openbox in session switch in log in screen when i choose open box my screen freezes but i can still move the mouse cursor but everything is frozen apart from that :)

I decided i could post about it on here instead of creating new topic

Reply #3
I would try FluxBox if I was forced to abandon OpenBox.

But I do not believe this bug is caused directly by OpenBox. As far as I know there was no major nor minor update for OB in a long time... (I am so sad that there are no new features and also very glad that it is very stable).

I would suspect that compositor has some error, IIRC LXDE might use compton and I saw that there were some updates of it. Or it does not like your GPU drivers ?

But I did not have a an opportunity to update in a long time so I only think of possibilities.

Its doing this to me on multiple PCs so I can't see that being likely about my GPU drivers...
I don't think it has anything to do with compton, LXDE doesn't come with a compositor but I do indeed use compton with it.

Does anyone else see what I'm seeing with the tray icons messing up?

Edit: Yea, it might be the compositor, its starting to look that way I think...

Edit 2: I disabled compton, but it seems like this is still happening... and it happens on all my artix PCs, as well as my one PC I have another similar bleeding-edge distro on.... Not sure what to make of this.

Reply #4
Openbox inherently has no icons, not on desktop not on panels, docks.  All those come extra and separate, so we shouldn't blame openbox for software running on top of it.
So what exactly is this running that has the problem?

What exactly does bug out mean in more technical english?

Reply #5
Maybe same Problem here. Icons which are shown permanently in panel aren´t visible after closing other programs shown in the panel when started them.

But... the system isn´t Artix. It´s Void Linux and there is no compton running on that system.

Reply #6
which panel is this?  I run lxpanel and didn't encounter such a problem, neither in artix or void.
Whatever panel you are using try killing it and start it from a terminal $ xfce4-panel $ tint2   $ lxpanel
And try replicating the error.  It seems like something crashing while the panel is still active, it should give you some output on the terminal.  Also tell us the panel you are using and the icon set you have installed.   I noticed some gtk3 upgrades recently but what you report is not enough to determine the problem.