Skip to main content
Topic: Unable to boot into desktop in liveCD (Read 1660 times) previous topic - next topic

Unable to boot into desktop in liveCD

Hi, I am trying to boot into the Artix live CD artix-lxqt-runit-20181008-x86_64.iso, but it seems to get stuck before it could boot into the desktop environment. See error list in the attachment.

From the error list, it seems to get stuck at the S-video enumeration, several other distros also have similar problems but eventually skip this step after being stuck for 5 mnutes or offer ways to disable S-video before loading, is there a way to disable it in Artix before loading the desktop environment?

Please give me the full walk through of how to make it happen because I am relative new to linux. Thanks.

Device spec
https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-travelmate-4720-core-2-duo-2ghz-1gb-ram-120gb-hdd-windows-xp-pro/specs/

Re: Unable to boot into desktop in liveCD

Reply #1
From the error list, it seems to get stuck at the S-video enumeration, MX has a similar problem but offers me the option to disable S-video at Grub screen, is there a way to disable it in Artix before loading the desktop environment?
Initramfs can't find block device to use as new root. Check which devices are /dev/block/by-label, mount the proper one in shell and then quit (not reboot or poweroff)
ARMtix

Reply #2
Initramfs can't find block device to use as new root. Check which devices are /dev/block/by-label, mount the proper one in shell and then quit (not reboot or poweroff)
I got the general idea, but I don't know the commands to carry this out. Can you give me the step by step instruction for this?

Reply #3
I got the general idea, but I don't know the commands to carry this out. Can you give me the step by step instruction for this?
First:
Code: [Select]
ls /dev/disk/by-label
Explore the output. It should contain something related to LiveCD root. To mount proper:
mount <path to dev> /mnt>
If none of that partitions seems to be root, try to mount each of them, see contents and decide what to do. If you think mounted partition is wrong:
umount /mnt
The last step to boot, as i remember, is new_root command
ARMtix

Reply #4
It seems the problem was an issue with how I made my live usb. I created the live usb in Windows with Rufus. In Rufus I picked iso hybrid mode instead of dd mode when I flashed the stick, so the image wasn't written sector by sector onto the flash drive, which in turn gives the live usb trouble to find files it seems.

Now I have another problem, for some reason the live usb isn't running from ram, and I have to wait for a full minute before I could even open a basic folder viewer or control panel or terminal. I can't experience the live usb at all

Reply #5
I think it is a command that goes on the grub/linux line, something like loadsquashfs to ram, do a search I am sure you'll find it.
In the boot screen you hit tab on the entry and edit the linux line.