Skip to main content
Topic: hang on boot when launching syslog-ng (Read 4663 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: hang on boot when launching syslog-ng

Reply #15
i can reliably reproduce this on every boot and also the part about hitting 'enter'  a couple of times to make syslog-ng start,
but i found this warning that may be part of the problem:

Code: [Select]
syslog-ng         |[2019-04-21T21:04:41.862159] WARNING: Configuration file format is too old, syslog-ng is running in compatibility mode. Please update it to use the syslog-ng 3.20 format at your time of convenience. To upgrade the configuration, please review the warnings about incompatible changes printed by syslog-ng, and once completed change the @version header at the top of the configuration file.;

i will try to update the configuration to see if it solves this.

I'm also using Artix on another AMD machine without having this problem.

Reply #16
i can reliably reproduce this on every boot and also the part about hitting 'enter'  a couple of times to make syslog-ng start,
but i found this warning that may be part of the problem:
I have exactly the same problem.
I have a freshly installed Artix Linux on a Lenovo X220. The system runs flawlessly and smoothly, only the system startup also feels stuck for 3 minutes.
When the system finish booting, the NetworkManager can't establish the connection with my wifi.
However, if I run (and now please do not laugh) with the fingers on the touchpad during startup, the system starts fast, without hanging up and the NetworkManager is connected with my wifi.
I thought I'm crazy because it is absolutely not logical, that the move with my fingers on the touchpad would speed up the systemboot and the network connection is established.

Reply #17

I thought I'm crazy because it is absolutely not logical, that the move with my fingers on the touchpad would speed up the systemboot and the network connection is established.

It is logical if a lack of entropy is causing the delayed startup. Try bashing random keys and see if that also speeds up the boot.
If it does then low entropy is probably the problem.

Reply #18
Messing with the configuration didn't change anything about the problem
I also did  a fresh Artix install but the issue still persists.

Reply #19
It is logical if a lack of entropy is causing the delayed startup. Try bashing random keys and see if that also speeds up the boot.
If it does then low entropy is probably the problem.
And what may be the solution to solve the entropy problem? Apart from the fact that I eventually get a tendonitis, if I have to slide over the touchpad, every time I start my device.
I have 3 more, several year old devices and all of them have Artix Linux installed. All of them boot fast and easy.
I have really no idea what I should do.

Reply #20
You can install some SW (read fake) entropy generator like haveged.

Reply #21
You can install some SW (read fake) entropy generator like haveged.
I have already installed haveged and it is already running.
pacman -Ss haveged
world/haveged 1.9.4-3 [Installiert]
    Entropy harvesting daemon using CPU timings
world/haveged-openrc 20180221-1 (openrc-world) [Installiert]
    OpenRC haveged init script
world/haveged-runit 20180226-1 (runit-world)
    runit service scripts for haveged
extra/haveged 1.9.4-3 [Installiert]
    Entropy harvesting daemon using CPU timings

Runlevel: default
 syslog-ng                                                                                                                                                    [  started  ]
 cronie                                                                                                                                                       [  started  ]
 dbus                                                                                                                                                         [  started  ]
 NetworkManager                                                                                                                                               [  started  ]
 acpid                                                                                                                                                        [  started  ]
 bluetooth                                                                                                                                                    [  started  ]
 haveged                                                                                                                                                      [  started  ]

Reply #23
https://forum.obarun.org/viewtopic.php?pid=3502#p3502

This sounds very similar to the above bug dealt at Obarun a month ago.  Something about kernel 5.0..  and urandom /dev/random that has changed.  If so then with lts(4.19) the problem should not appear, if it does it may be a different problem.