Skip to main content
Topic: rtkit 0.12 who needs it and who can live without it? What is svc-manager (Read 1026 times) previous topic - next topic

rtkit 0.12 who needs it and who can live without it? What is svc-manager

The rtkit in system is 0.11 and it can install as standalone, the one in gremlins 0.12 seems to have much more attached to it.
What exactly does this real time kit do, and how is it necessary or how can one live without it.  I understand some desktops like kde-plasma need it.  I don't need it, but what happens when you don't use it?

While trying to understand it I discovered svc-manager which is neither a package nor is it owned by a package, but it makes the init system mandatory.    Is artix forcing the choice of an init system this way?

# pacman -S svc-manager

Re: rtkit 0.12 who needs it and who can live without it? What is svc-manager

Reply #1
Svc-manager is either runit or openrc. "pacman -S svc-manager" will only update\reinstall the one you have
I don't have rtkit installed on desktop and lxde (when i use it sometimes) works ok
ARMtix

Reply #2
For rtkit, since many of the changes are basically for some reason integrating systemd (and while we're at that, it's not upstream but a fork by an Arch dev), I'm considering to epoch it since the upstream rtkit 0.11 has not been updated.
As for what is rtkit, the README in the project should explain what it is.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #3
There seem to be tremendous dependency difference between 0.11 and 0.12
It is a very confusing pkg.
Someone told me that his plasma installation would break if he removed it, although I can't find anything that depends on it.