Skip to main content
Topic: updates stepping on my configuations (Read 5927 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: updates stepping on my configuations

Reply #15
I am sorry to be doing this one error at a time but:

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libsodium-$(expac -S '%v' galaxy/libsodium)-(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz

Code: [Select]
# sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libsodium-$(expac -S '%v' galaxy/libsodium)-(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz
sh: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Reply #16
Ah sorry .... Forgot to add the dollar sign at the end of it ...

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libsodium-$(expac -S '%v' galaxy/libsodium)-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #17
Are we having ANY fun yet?

libsodium-1.0.15-1-x86_64                        152.9 KiB   382K/s 00:00 [##########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                             [##########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                           [##########################################] 100%
error: libsodium: signature from "Cromnix (Buildbot) <[email protected]>" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libsodium-1.0.15-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] y
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
# pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libsodium-$(expac -S '%v' galaxy/libsodium)-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz
sh: expac: command not found
loading packages...
error: '/var/cache/pacman/pkg/libsodium--x86_64.pkg.tar.xz': could not find or read package
#

Reply #19
Back in the same circle, half the tries the package does not exist and the other half it can't be removed because it is not even there (in the cache because I deleted it manually).

# pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libsodium-$(expac -S '%v' galaxy/libsodium)-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz
loading packages...
error: '/var/cache/pacman/pkg/libsodium-1.0.15-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz': could not find or read package
# pacman -S libsodium
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) libsodium-1.0.15-1

Total Download Size:    0.15 MiB
Total Installed Size:   0.50 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      -0.09 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
error: failed retrieving file 'libsodium-1.0.15-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror1.artixlinux.org : Resolving timed out after 10520 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'libsodium-1.0.15-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from artix.wheaton.edu : Resolving timed out after 10518 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'libsodium-1.0.15-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.strits.dk : Resolving timed out after 10519 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'libsodium-1.0.15-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : Resolving timed out after 10519 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'libsodium-1.0.15-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from www.uex.dk : Resolving timed out after 10520 milliseconds
error: failed retrieving file 'libsodium-1.0.15-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net : Resolving timed out after 10519 milliseconds
 libsodium-1.0.15-1-x86_64                        152.9 KiB   364K/s 00:00 [##########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                             [##########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                           [##########################################] 100%
error: libsodium: signature from "Cromnix (Buildbot) <[email protected]>" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libsodium-1.0.15-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] y
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))

Reply #20
Back in the same circle, half the tries the package does not exist and the other half it can't be removed because it is not even there (in the cache because I deleted it manually).

Please read & follow my steps carefully... You will see in it that I said to not remove the package when it were asked to remove (or press 'N' in this case)
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #21
I think you should reread who started talking about this problem a couple of hours before your suggestions.
Answering no now just fails the update.  It makes no difference what I do.  It was pacman telling me this "corrupt" unsigned pkg should be removed, and since pacman couldn't remove it I had removed it manually.  Then tried reinstalling the fresh one and it didn't go.
Then your instructions came. 

Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] n
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)

I started from scratch, after 15hrs of a mess, and finally it worked, thank you.
What exactly does this command do and how and why was there such a problem.  More than 15hrs to update the damn system is not really "normal" and I am not pointing any fingers on being someone's fault.  I just don't understand the nature of the problem.
Copy paste of commands that have no reference in pacman-help don't necessarily make sense to everyone.

My first day on Artix there were three packages that couldn't match signatures.  It took three days then to clear the problem out.  But this one seems different.

Reply #22
if you re-read my post again, you will noticed my porposed solution is to manually install package using -U, therefore bypassing signature checking .

The link attached to my post will tell you more about the issue youre having

Reply #23
if you re-read my post again, you will noticed my porposed solution is to manually install package using -U, therefore bypassing signature checking .

The link attached to my post will tell you more about the issue youre having

I appreciate all your help, still I don't understand how you come up with the specific command - beyond the pacman -U.
I also think it defeats the purpose of having signatures if they need to be bypassed.  I am sure you have heard of MIM attacks.  It is also virtually impossible to verify packages from repositories especially when they come from non-https connections.  In this respect arch is archaic.  There is a difference running and trying a beta-system and being intentionally careless about what it is you are building.  How do I and the next user know we got the same libsodium on?  We don't, we were handed a magic command that cured the problem.

I personally would rather wait a few days for an update than be dealing with this.  It is sloppy!  This is a relatively simple installation and yesterday's update found 106-108 pkgs, and two had a problem.  What's next?

Reply #24
I always protect my important system files with directives like
NoUpgrade = etc/passwd etc/group etc/shadow
NoUpgrade = etc/fstab
in /etc/pacman.conf.

Clear your package cache (or just the offending package) and re-download.
Also, pacman never overwrites changed files, it creates .pacsaves, unless --force was specified.

So are users recreated in the system after passwd.pacsave is restored?  Because my two had vanished and some system-users had appeared in my sddm screen to log in.
If so, why isn't this by default in pacman.conf and why would for such files be a pacnew?

I hope you can excuse me being irritated today as I still trying to get back where I was in reference to work since yesterday and I still have a mess to clear up.

Also, since yesterday, more than half of the repositories are bypassed because their response time overpasses some threshold of 10520 milliseconds.  How do I change this?  I looked everywhere for this 10,5sec limit.  Even a mirror that is 6km away from me was bypassed and a next one was tried.  Maybe my dns is too slow, but I don't mind that.

Reply #25
error: boost-libs: signature from "Cromnix (Buildbot) <[email protected]>" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/boost-libs-1.65.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: source-highlight: signature from "Cromnix (Buildbot) <[email protected]>" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/source-highlight-3.1.8-13-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)

Reply #26
So are users recreated in the system after passwd.pacsave is restored?  Because my two had vanished and some system-users had appeared in my sddm screen to log in.
If so, why isn't this by default in pacman.conf and why would for such files be a pacnew?

Nothing vanishes, unless you keep calm and use --force in pacman. From pacman.conf:
HANDLING CONFIG FILES
       Pacman uses the same logic as rpm to determine action against files that are designated to be backed up. During an upgrade, three MD5 hashes are used for each backup file to determine the required
       action: one for the original file installed, one for the new file that is about to be installed, and one for the actual file existing on the file system. After comparing these three hashes, the
       follow scenarios can result:

original=X, current=X, new=X
           All three files are the same, so overwrites are not an issue. Install the new file.

original=X, current=X, new=Y
           The current file is the same as the original, but the new one differs. Since the user did not ever modify the file, and the new one may contain improvements or bug fixes, install the new file.

original=X, current=Y, new=X
           Both package versions contain the exact same file, but the one on the file system has been modified. Leave the current file in place.

original=X, current=Y, new=Y
           The new file is identical to the current file. Install the new file.

original=X, current=Y, new=Z
           All three files are different, so install the new file with a .pacnew extension and warn the user. The user must then manually merge any necessary changes into the original file.

original=NULL, current=Y, new=Z
           The package was not previously installed, and the file already exists on the file system. Install the new file with a .pacnew extension and warn the user. The user must then manually merge any
           necessary changes into the original file.

Also, since yesterday, more than half of the repositories are bypassed because their response time overpasses some threshold of 10520 milliseconds.  How do I change this?  I looked everywhere for this 10,5sec limit.  Even a mirror that is 6km away from me was bypassed and a next one was tried.  Maybe my dns is too slow, but I don't mind that.
Why don't you rankmirrors your mirrorlist?

Reply #27
It doesn't make much sense doing it with this crappy connection of mine, as mirrors that are within walking distance are failing while on another continent they work.
I found out a line in resolvconf that limits dns tries and moves to the next dns server, but that threshold is much smaller, so that ain''t it.
I cleaned out my dns list and things seem a bit better.

Reply #28
Sddm was updated recently and with it the original artix background was replaced by a new artix graphic which is like a silly version of Manjaro themes.  Where can I find a copy of that original DNA chain black-green bg?

With dns resolv.conf I've tried every trick on the book keeping it from changing to some idiotic default.  I thought openresolv and resolvconf might do it and a head file in resolvconf.d but still every boot it returns to default.  The only other way I can think of is create a script to copy a file from backup to the /etc/resolv.conf file.  It wasn't happening for a while and something in a recent upgrade returned this nuisance.

Then todays a new version of pamac appeared in world-testing I think.  New conf file and the AUR settings are not even there.  I copied from the old pamac.conf but it seems as the whole package was configured to not include AUR.  Whose idea was this?  It is either Artix is  an Arch fork or it isn't.  At this stage I think some paternalistic figure behind the scenes should make their mind up.