Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Bumblebee pidfile error with OpenRC (Read 1021 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Bumblebee pidfile error with OpenRC

Since Bumblebee didn't work for some weeks now, I tried to solve it reading all I could find without a solution for the error. It outputs "/usr/bin/bumblebeed: unrecognized option '--pidfile'".

Well, since the system was a bit unstable because some experiments (my fault) I did in the past, I opted for a clean install.

I used the base iso. I read again the arch wiki and noticed that the instalation of the nvidia driver has changed (I have a GT540M so i need the 390xx). So I installed bumblebee, bbswitch and the new drivers from AUR (I use the dkms version). I installed them with makepkg instead of using a helper. BTW, even I use the lts version of the kernel the instalation process requires the regular kernel and headers too so you end with two kernels and the driver for both kernels.

Once I boot the system the same error appears again, I strictly followed the Gentoo wiki and the bbswitch one in case this was de culprit but nothing seems to work and the --pidfile error persist.

If I run manually /usr/bin/bumblebeed it works without errors and bbswitch too so the programs and driver was well installed (I tested the output of glxgears with the info option) so I decided to edit the bumblebee script wich is in /etc/init.d/. I deleted the --pidfile option on the line number 11 so now it looks "start-stop-daemon -S -p "${PIDFILE}" -x /usr/bin/bumblebeed -- -D ${BUMBLEBEE_EXTRA_OPTS} "${PIDFILE}"" instead of "start-stop-daemon -S -p "${PIDFILE}" -x /usr/bin/bumblebeed -- -D ${BUMBLEBEE_EXTRA_OPTS} --pidfile "${PIDFILE}"". I deleted too the lines at the begining of the script as Gentoo wiki says that now that dependency can cause problems.

That solved the problem and bumblebee works again without problems but I'm not sure if this is the correct solution.
I didn't see anywhere that the --pidfile option can cause problems

What I don't know if there is an undocumented change and now the --pidfile option is not needed anymore or there is a deeper problem that can cause the problem. Now it works but maybe in the future may fail again if this is not the correct solution.

I will apreciate if someone can answer this.

Re: Bumblebee pidfile error with OpenRC

Reply #1
you can use 399.xx driver from our artix repo too.
you can use bumblebee-openrc or bumblebee-runit (depends on your system).

if your solution works for you, it's a right solution ;-)

Re: Bumblebee pidfile error with OpenRC

Reply #2
Thank you for your answer and sorry because my english isn't too good.

The bumblebee-openrc and related packages I installed are from the Artix repos. I only installed the nvidia drivers from AUR because with the Artix ones I had the same problem.

Ok, I mark the topic as solved then. Hope this helps anyone wich  may have the same problem and thank you again.

Re: [SOLVED] Bumblebee pidfile error with OpenRC

Reply #3
Thank you for your answer and sorry because my english isn't too good.

The bumblebee-openrc and related packages I installed are from the Artix repos. I only installed the nvidia drivers from AUR because with the Artix ones I had the same problem.

Ok, I mark the topic as solved then. Hope this helps anyone wich  may have the same problem and thank you again.
ok, i will update nvidia-390.xx in artix

Reply #4
Tested the bumblebee-openrc script and came to same error, working on fixing that

@emavys Can you test and see if this works https://termbin.com/ouqm , if it starts and stops fine. I can't test it as bumblebeed says I have no integrated graphics card(which is true)

Reply #5
@ndowens
Yes, it works.

If it helps, my script is nearly exact as the default one and the Gento one but I commentend some lines according to their wiki and the one that causes the problem. Line 11 and 12 are the same, I just deleted --pidfile and that way it works too.

#!/usr/bin/openrc-run
# Copyright 1999-2012 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2

# depend() {
#       need xdm
# }
#
PIDFILE="${PIDFILE:-/run/bumblebee.pid}"
start() {
        ebegin "Starting BumbleBee Daemon"
#               start-stop-daemon -S -p "${PIDFILE}" -x /usr/bin/bumblebeed -- -D ${BUMBLEBEE_EXTRA_OPTS} --pidfile "${PIDFILE}"
                start-stop-daemon -S -p "${PIDFILE}" -x /usr/bin/bumblebeed -- -D ${BUMBLEBEE_EXTRA_OPTS} "${PIDFILE}"

eend $?
}

stop() {

ebegin "Stopping BumbleBee Daemon"
                start-stop-daemon -K -p "${PIDFILE}" -R SIGTERM/10
        eend $?
}

Reply #6
@ndowens
Yes, it works.

If it helps, my script is nearly exact as the default one and the Gento one but I commentend some lines according to their wiki and the one that causes the problem. Line 11 and 12 are the same, I just deleted --pidfile and that way it works too.

Thanks for verifying, I like making them as simple as possible.