Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Octopi question (Read 1842 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Octopi question

Hello,
I have a question about octopi.
I like it, but I would like to prevent Artix to connect at boot and check for updates. This messes my network connection a bit.

My point is that Artix connects at boot to 209.126.11.233 and 130.225.254.116. I assume that Artix is checking for updates. I don't mind this but I would prefer if connection/updates checking would occur 10-15min after boot.
If that is not possible I would have to set updates manually.
Is it possible to keep octopi and run it manually only?

Thank you

Re: Octopi question

Reply #1
You should be able to disable autostart of Octopi.

The autostart is probably handled by xdg something, the desktop file is located at "/etc/xdg/autostart/octopi-notifier.desktop"
You can either edit autostart applications with some GUI available in your system or you can do it manually:

Code: [Select]
cp /etc/xdg/autostart/octopi-notifier.desktop $HOME/.config/autostart/
echo "Hidden=true" >> $HOME/.config/autostart/octopi-notifier.desktop

Take this as an example, check Archwiki for more information about XDG Autostart:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XDG_Autostart

Reply #2
Thank you. It worked.

Re: [SOLVED] Octopi question

Reply #3
Aactually it does not work.

So while octopi-notifications icon is gone, system still checks for updates, this time Discover is at work :)

Reply #4
I don't think, that artix check for update during boot. For that you need a service /daemon.
For that you should be have octopi-openrc/runit/s6 installed . And we provide no this services for octopi.
Must be another service, which wait for network.

Reply #5
I don't think, that artix check for update during boot. For that you need a service /daemon.
For that you should be have octopi-openrc/runit/s6 installed . And we provide no this services for octopi.
Must be another service, which wait for network.

The Octopi can have its own notifier starting when users logs in, it is normal feature of these programs.
Discover might be the same, but I never used it so I dont know, maybe same steps can be applied? , or some other thing?

Reply #6
The Octopi can have its own notifier starting when users logs in, it is normal feature of these programs.
Discover might be the same, but I never used it so I dont know, maybe same steps can be applied? , or some other thing?

He wrote at boot - not at login. Logically I think, he hang at starting networks, as happens in openrc often, for example.

If he wrote at login, then Then it would make more sense, because as I wrote, octopi has no service to start at boot time, but as lot of programs it can be start automatically at login.

I have no crystal ball, and if he wrote at boot, he think boot, not at login. 😄

Reply #7
my bad,
connections are made at login. I run
netstat -pantul
and I get
tcp        0      0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:41066             130.225.254.116:443    ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:43824             209.126.11.233:443      ESTABLISHED

when I block these with iptables, octopi/discover fail to connect update system, so these are related to octopi/discover

So is there any way to prevent octopi/discover for making connections automatically?

Reply #8
He wrote at boot - not at login. Logically I think, he hang at starting networks, as happens in openrc often, for example.

If he wrote at login, then Then it would make more sense, because as I wrote, octopi has no service to start at boot time, but as lot of programs it can be start automatically at login.

I have no crystal ball, and if he wrote at boot, he think boot, not at login. 😄

Sure, but he wrote octopi for which we do not provide any init scripts, so I thought that autologin is active and boot mean full start.

Reply #9
o.k.

Let me start again:

How can I stop Artix from checking automatically for the updates?
How can set manual only updates?

Thank you (and I am sorry for any confusion that I caused)

Reply #10
ok, i installed octopi now... (i used it never before), and in my DE cause no trouble yet.

you use octopi-notifier? this green icon?

you an disable autostart if you delete octopi-notifier.desktop in /etc/xdg/autostart/ and just run 'octopi-notifier' manually. Or you can set in settings of octopi-notifier (klick to green icon -> settings -> synchronisation)  set when to update

Reply #11
I followed SGOrava's advice https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,1684.msg11557.html#msg11557,
octopi notifier icon is gone, but Artix is still making connections, I just got Discover notification that I have new updates waiting, so with or without octopi, another tool that is making connections is Discover.

note:
I followed the same pattern and edited:
/etc/xdg/autostart/org.kde.discover.notifier.desktop

I rebooted system twice and now it seems that no connections are made.

I appreciate your patience.

Thank you.

Reply #12
I followed SGOrava's advice https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,1684.msg11557.html#msg11557,
octopi notifier icon is gone, but Artix is still making connections, I just got Discover notification that I have new updates waiting, so with or without octopi, another tool that is making connections is Discover.

note:
I followed the same pattern and edited:
/etc/xdg/autostart/org.kde.discover.notifier.desktop

I rebooted system twice and now it seems that no connections are made.

I appreciate your patience.

Thank you.

It is best to do this per user and to not edit files in system folders, these files might or might not be overwritten after update.
That is why my advice contained copying the file into your home folder.

Reply #13

It is best to do this per user and to not edit files in system folders, these files might or might not be overwritten after update.
That is why my advice contained copying the file into your home folder.

o.k. I will correct this.

thank you