Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Network issue (Read 6323 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Network issue

Reply #75
With what kernel?

Oh thinked that also cloud be a netmanager issue

Reply #77
can you try our live ISO? just boot in and put here dmesg. If our live ISO will works (put here plese dmesg), some will wrong on your side. if that doesn't work either, try ISO of any linux distribution. we need check, if your wifi (HW) really works or not.

Reply #78
can you try our live ISO? just boot in and put here dmesg. If our live ISO will works (put here plese dmesg), some will wrong on your side. if that doesn't work either, try ISO of any linux distribution. we need check, if your wifi (HW) really works or not.
How do i do that? I can't load the live iso and post dmseg output cuz i dont have access to my strong and complicated password

Reply #79
Does not work...

Reply #81
Wifi in other distro

Reply #82
I'm not sure 100%, but downgrading firmware may not work - possibly it's loaded into the device at boot and stored there, and only reloaded if the available version is newer unless you do something to force it to be downgraded. Like Pacman checks if there's an upgrade, it won't do anything if there isn't. Perhaps using another distro, it may reload it if the version is equal or greater.

Reply #83
Or can try boot into Windows, and  install wifi driver.  Shutdown computer, and start again for reload fw. That can help you, if really that no HW issue is.

Another way is update BIOS, if new version will come, they can update fw too.

Reply #84
Or can try boot into Windows, and  install wifi driver.  Shutdown computer, and start again for reload fw. That can help you, if really that no HW issue is.

Another way is update BIOS, if new version will come, they can update fw too.
How  do i update bios? Cuz i dont have wind

Reply #85
How  do i update bios? Cuz i dont have wind
that's sucks, if you can't without Windows upgrade your BIOS.
I have the same problem - upgrading the BIOS only through Windows at HP - I was "forced" to install Windows on one partition, because it was the >>easiest<< solution how to keep the BIOS up-to-date.

As I say, it sucks that Windows is needed for the easiest way to upgrade the BIOS.

Reply #86
that's sucks, if you can't without Windows upgrade your BIOS.
I have the same problem - upgrading the BIOS only through Windows at HP - I was "forced" to install Windows on one partition, because it was the >>easiest<< solution how to keep the BIOS up-to-date.

As I say, it sucks that Windows is needed for the easiest way to upgrade the BIOS.
There is some way on linux of  updating bios?

Reply #87
Last year my internal Intel 5300 started going very slowly, about 1mb d/l. I bought a replacement, when I fitted it, the first boot was fine, then it went slow again. That was why I wondered if the firmware was cached in the card somehow, plus I read some stuff online, but I don't think it is in fact. Having recently swapped the mobo this seemed to rule out the hw, so prompted by this thread I gave it another go:

Code: [Select]
You can see what firmware is loaded with this, I had to install the lshw package first:
sudo lshw -C network

sudo mv /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-* (to some other empty dir)
Download the firmware for your card direct from Intel here:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/wireless.html
tar -xvzf iwlwifi-5000-ucode-8.24.2.12.tgz
cd iwlwifi-5000-ucode-8.24.2.12/
sudo cp iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode /lib/firmware/

Reboot & try it, try another version if it doesn't work and there are other versions available.

*-network
       description: Wireless interface
       product: Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
       logical name: wlp12s0
       version: 00
       serial: 00:21:6a:ac:b7:0a
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.10.16-1-lts firmware=8.24.2.12 5000-2.ucode ip=192.168.1.125 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802
       resources: irq:34 memory:f1ffe000-f1ffffff

With the newest version my card was still slow, but trying the one before it is working normally again - at least on this boot, hopefully it will last  ;D
Now the next bit is write a Pacman hook or something that puts the right firmware in place on updates of the firmware package which is needed for other bits of hw, or just remember to do it manually.
Also the sha256sum of the package firmware and the Intel firmware was different, despite the same file name, so it's worth a try even if it seems to be the same version that you already have.
I should add I can easily play with the iwlwifi stuff, because I also have another non-Intel wireless adapter plugged in which uses a different driver and firmware.
Well that seems to have fixed my Intel wifi, perhaps the same idea will help with yours?
As for BIOS updates, the methods vary with what make and model you are updating, there are often ways to do it in Linux but not always. You have to look it up online. Sometimes you can put the BIOS update on a disk or USB or something, and it's loaded when you start the computer, so it makes no difference what OS you use.

Reply #88
Last year my internal Intel 5300 started going very slowly, about 1mb d/l. I bought a replacement, when I fitted it, the first boot was fine, then it went slow again. That was why I wondered if the firmware was cached in the card somehow, plus I read some stuff online, but I don't think it is in fact. Having recently swapped the mobo this seemed to rule out the hw, so prompted by this thread I gave it another go:

Code: [Select]
You can see what firmware is loaded with this, I had to install the lshw package first:
sudo lshw -C network

sudo mv /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-* (to some other empty dir)
Download the firmware for your card direct from Intel here:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/wireless.html
tar -xvzf iwlwifi-5000-ucode-8.24.2.12.tgz
cd iwlwifi-5000-ucode-8.24.2.12/
sudo cp iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode /lib/firmware/

Reboot & try it, try another version if it doesn't work and there are other versions available.

*-network
       description: Wireless interface
       product: Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
       logical name: wlp12s0
       version: 00
       serial: 00:21:6a:ac:b7:0a
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.10.16-1-lts firmware=8.24.2.12 5000-2.ucode ip=192.168.1.125 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802
       resources: irq:34 memory:f1ffe000-f1ffffff

With the newest version my card was still slow, but trying the one before it is working normally again - at least on this boot, hopefully it will last  ;D
Now the next bit is write a Pacman hook or something that puts the right firmware in place on updates of the firmware package which is needed for other bits of hw, or just remember to do it manually.
Also the sha256sum of the package firmware and the Intel firmware was different, despite the same file name, so it's worth a try even if it seems to be the same version that you already have.
I should add I can easily play with the iwlwifi stuff, because I also have another non-Intel wireless adapter plugged in which uses a different driver and firmware.
Well that seems to have fixed my Intel wifi, perhaps the same idea will help with yours?
As for BIOS updates, the methods vary with what make and model you are updating, there are often ways to do it in Linux but not always. You have to look it up online. Sometimes you can put the BIOS update on a disk or USB or something, and it's loaded when you start the computer, so it makes no difference what OS you use.
Thanks but how do im supposed to know the version number?

Reply #89
For the wireless firmware, read the commands I used as a general guide, but be sure you understand what you are doing when you mv and cp.
This command will tell you the info you need to identify your wireless card, and what firmware is currently in use:
sudo lshw -C network
Then go to the Intel website, I think the one applicable to you is the one for the 9461, 9462 and 9560:
iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-34.618819.0.tgz

There's a bug report on a similar problem from last year here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1864188
There is a mention of firmware versions there, especially see the last post which might be helpful, although neither of those is the same as the Intel firmware, although a file of the same name as all 3 options is in the firmware package. Who knows what gets loaded as standard, use lshw to find out and try some stuff.