Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] ModemManager stuck on “starting in system bus” (Read 3578 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] ModemManager stuck on “starting in system bus”

I updated my system today with sudo pacman -Syyu and rebooted it and modemmanager said it was starting in the system bus. How do I fix this?
says the british girl

Re: ModemManager stuck on “starting in system bus”

Reply #1
Did system booting correctly?
Create problems which don't have solution

Reply #2
Yes. It bootd properly but modemmanager couldn’t detect some files from 5.11.6 so it hung
says the british girl

Reply #3
https://youtu.be/87XWP4Zw1bo this is the outcome
says the british girl

Reply #4
Are you able to switch ttys from that and still actually log in though? I suppose the irq messages are from modem manager? The virtualbox modules failing probably has something to do with you using the fallback kernel I guess. I don't think either of these things failing should block any other service though.

Edit: I just realized that we don't actually have modemmanager scripts. Not sure how you are starting it (rc.local)?

Reply #5
I can switch ttys but once I do they instantly stop. I have a separate windows partition if that’ll help with anything
edit: does 26 have rc.local?
says the british girl

Reply #6
I would boot in Live ISO, a chroot to installed Artix and simply disabled the service, or modemanager temporarily uninstalled before I fix the problem that causes it.
Chroot is always the best way to fix it when it is not booted.

Reply #7
I don't how you are starting ModemManager on bootup, but I suppose it's somehow blocking parts of the boot process. This is one of the reason why service managers exist. I'll add a ModemManager service script later today.

Reply #8
I don't how you are starting ModemManager on bootup, but I suppose it's somehow blocking parts of the boot process. This is one of the reason why service managers exist. I'll add a ModemManager service script later today.

I would prefer it staying off. Not many people need modem these days. It belongs to history.

Reply #10
It just occurred to me that NetworkManager might actually start ModemManager on its own. Are you using the NetworkManager service 1? Regardless, NetworkManager failing, being stuck, etc. shouldn't block anything. There's exactly one s6-rc call on bootup that starts everything up in parallel (with some dependency handling).

Anyways, there's a ModemManager-s6 package now if you find that useful.

Reply #11
It just occurred to me that NetworkManager might actually start ModemManager on its own. Are you using the NetworkManager service 1? Regardless, NetworkManager failing, being stuck, etc. shouldn't block anything. There's exactly one s6-rc call on bootup that starts everything up in parallel (with some dependency handling).

Anyways, there's a ModemManager-s6 package now if you find that useful.
I don’t have a modem plasma just had it installed for some reason (it was needed by plasma-nm) either way I untinstalled it and now another problem awaits. modules from the old kernel are still needed by s6-rc for some reason. So it also look for those, fails, then the entire machine fails. here is what happened
says the british girl

Reply #13
I don’t have a modem plasma just had it installed for some reason (it was needed by plasma-nm) either way I untinstalled it and now another problem awaits. modules from the old kernel are still needed by s6-rc for some reason. So it also look for those, fails, then the entire machine fails. here is what happened

The modules failing to load is a red herring. I just confirmed this on my own machine by putting a fake module in a conf and rebooting. The s6-rc command returns 123, as desired, because the module doesn't exist and a user should know that he has messed up his conf. It does not affect any other part of the boot process however and logging into tty and so on was fine.

A couple of observations:
1. The crypto_user module not being found is definitely very wrong. It should be in all artix kernels. Something is bad here.
2. I have no idea what is printing those "No irq handler" messages, but that looks suspicious. I do not know if that is something important however.

My first suggestion would be to fix your kernel at any rate (upgrade since we are on 5.12 now). You should definitely have crypto_user.
Edit: A search says that "no irq handler" is kernel related, so I think your kernel is just messed up.

Reply #14
no irq handler
this is not a issue, i have it too.... me just missing some gpio driver in kernel or what