Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] System freeze at bootup, previous solution not working (Read 3246 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: System freeze at bootup, previous solution not working

Reply #15
Using OpenRC you need to create an .xinitrc entry to start the desktop too.
Code: [Select]
~/.xinitrc:
exec startxfce4

Of course. Sorry, I forgot that Octane is using a DE and probably doesn't have ~/.xinitrc set up. I'm using dwm and my ~/.xinitrc ends in:

exec dwm

It is important to emphasize that the "exec" line needs to be the last, as it transfers execution.

Reply #16
This indicates a problem with Xorg. Properly installed X should be able to be run without a DM. It is strange that you could get into X with lxdm. I could theorize that probably when you reinstalled lxdm pacman picked up some missing dependency and installed it. Aside from providing your X log at the time when you failed to start X by the command startx, you should now try to just disable the service, without uninstalling the lxdm package and then try to run startx again.
Alright, just tried to disable the service, which immediately kicked me out of XFCE. As before, I couldn't get X to start using startx, and here's the X log for this. The only way I could get back in was to manually run lxdm.
https://paste.artixlinux.org/view/856cc9ab
EDIT: Now I also have to start lxdm manually every time I boot up my computer. For whatever reason it doesn't want to start automatically even though the service is enabled.

Reply #17
There are a couple of error messages in that last log:
[ 24143.785] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 24143.855] (EE) AMDGPU(0): Failed to make import prime FD as pixmap: 22
Searching them brings up various diverse issues and solutions from the last year or two.
I tried booting XFCE with nomodeset on the kernel command line last year and then at least it wouldn't start without modesetting. I only tried it with startx, perhaps lxdm alters things somehow. You could try temporarily installing another desktop as well as XFCE, to see if it made a difference, and perhaps allow you to more easily gather debugging info.

Reply #18
Alright, just decided to reboot my machine and take a two photos of the error screens to analyze. What I maybe should have stated before is that in order to even log in I need to press Ctrl+F5 to open another console, the default one just gives me errors and asks for my username and password again.
Login attempt on default tty
Login attempt on F5 tty
I noticed that there are log files for Xorg that are saved in the home directory, and here they are as well.
Login attempt on default tty
Login attempt on F5 tty

EDIT: And now the audio is gone as well. My external audio card is connected according to lsusb, but neither it nor the built-in one shows up in the audio mixer or anything. I'm having real bad luck right now it seems. PulseAudio is still running by the way, and seemingly no one else has had a similar problem where the audio interfaces just disappear. Either way, this is likely caused by the mess related to lxdm I was already in.

Reply #19
The manpage for xinit(1) states:
The  xinit  program  is  used  to start the X Window System server and a first client program on systems that are not using a display manager such as xdm(1) or in environments that use multiple window systems.  When this first
       client exits, xinit will kill the X server and then terminate.

If no specific client program is given on the command line, xinit will look for a file in the user's home directory called .xinitrc to run as a shell script to start up client programs.  If no such file exists, xinit will  use
       the following as a default:

xterm  -geometry  +1+1  -n  login  -display  :0

If no specific server program is given on the command line, xinit will look for a file in the user's home directory called .xserverrc to run as a shell script to start up the server.  If no such file exists, xinit will use the
       following as a default:

X  :0

Note that this assumes that there is a program named X in the current search path.  The site administrator should, therefore, make a link to the appropriate type of server on the machine, or create a  shell  script  that  runs
       xinit with the appropriate server.

The file /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, as well as ~/.xinitrc, is just an ordinary shell script. If there is no ~/.xinitrc, the one in /etc gets executed by X when it starts without a display manager. The default contents of a /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is this:

#!/bin/sh

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then

xrdb -merge $sysresources

fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f "$userresources" ]; then

xrdb -merge "$userresources"

fi

if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
    xmodmap "$usermodmap"
fi

# start some nice programs

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ] ; then
 for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/?*.sh ; do
  [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
 done
 unset f
fi

twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

As you can see, there is a number of lines near the bottom which call programs which might not be installed in your system. Those are:
  • twm window manager
  • xclock application
  • xterm terminal emulator

What to do? You either have your own ~/.xinitrc, which conveniently just overrides all this nonsense from /etc, or simply comment out those lines calling the nonexistant programs and put some Xorg program as the last line, preceeded by exec. Alternatively, you could also install xorg-twm, xorg-xclock and xterm packages to get no error, but start those programs by xinitrc when you run startx. I also use dwm globally on my system, so I have exec dwm as the last line there. I haven't used lxde yet as my "daily driver", nor feel the need to in the future, so I'm afraid I can't help you with specifically setting it up to start without a DM. It could be as simple as putting exec lxde (or whatever the program to start lxde is called) to the end of xinitrc.

This reminded me, I might take the time and write a guide on how to set up Xorg to start dwm without a display manager.

Reply #21
The manpage for xinit(1) states:
The file /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, as well as ~/.xinitrc, is just an ordinary shell script. If there is no ~/.xinitrc, the one in /etc gets executed by X when it starts without a display manager. The default contents of a /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is this:

#!/bin/sh

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then

xrdb -merge $sysresources

fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f "$userresources" ]; then

xrdb -merge "$userresources"

fi

if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
    xmodmap "$usermodmap"
fi

# start some nice programs

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ] ; then
 for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/?*.sh ; do
  [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
 done
 unset f
fi

twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

As you can see, there is a number of lines near the bottom which call programs which might not be installed in your system. Those are:
  • twm window manager
  • xclock application
  • xterm terminal emulator

What to do? You either have your own ~/.xinitrc, which conveniently just overrides all this nonsense from /etc, or simply comment out those lines calling the nonexistant programs and put some Xorg program as the last line, preceeded by exec. Alternatively, you could also install xorg-twm, xorg-xclock and xterm packages to get no error, but start those programs by xinitrc when you run startx. I also use dwm globally on my system, so I have exec dwm as the last line there. I haven't used lxde yet as my "daily driver", nor feel the need to in the future, so I'm afraid I can't help you with specifically setting it up to start without a DM. It could be as simple as putting exec lxde (or whatever the program to start lxde is called) to the end of xinitrc.

This reminded me, I might take the time and write a guide on how to set up Xorg to start dwm without a display manager.
I actually use XFCE, I was only using lxdm as a display manager because it was the only one I could get to work, but it was pretty easy to find the equivalent command.
So, after having commented out those lines from the /etc file and adding a .xinitrc to my home directory, I could finally log in from the tty without any issues. It didn't start x automatically, but creating a .zlogin file and adding this helped a ton:
# this should run startx
if [[ -z $DISPLAY ]] && [[ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]]; then
  exec startxfce4
#  # Could use xinit instead of startx
#  #exec xinit -- /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt7
fi
Now every issue is resolved, besides the fact that I need to press enter once on the login screen before typing in my info since it gives me some message about a wpa supplicant, but that's small potatoes. I declare this issue solved at this point now that I'm finally free from lxdm. Thank you!

Re: [SOLVED] System freeze at bootup, previous solution not working

Reply #22
I do not understand why they put this problem as solved, when it is clearly not !!!!

Comment, I'm using the Mate environment with runit. I installed in my system the packages of dependencies of which is talked about up in the code of file of  .xinitrc that name (xorg-TWM, xorg-Xclock and Xterm) and I added exec mate-session and does not start, the system is dead and I have to restart off from the hardware.

It would be good to contribute a solution clearly, for those who do not know so much for this problem, my experience in Artix was good until this serious failure. I really do not know what to do....
Free the world from the evil software called systemd.

Reply #23
@The Dark Side : maybe because as wrote octane, all his problems are solved?
Now every issue is resolved, besides the fact that I need to press enter once on the login screen before typing in my info since it gives me some message about a wpa supplicant, but that's small potatoes. I declare this issue solved at this point now that I'm finally free from lxdm. Thank you!

and he marked it as solved.
If you have a problem, please feel free open new topic with our problem, thank you.

Reply #24
@Dark side: I linked the Arch wiki article above which has links to further articles on setting up DM-less login. The only parts which are different in Artix are those having to do with taking down and disabling services, which also differ between the various init systems used in Artix.

Read the manuals/guides.

Reply #25
I'm going to take a look at the wiki and try to solve it, let's see how I find it. Greetings and thanks.
Free the world from the evil software called systemd.

Reply #26
Please do not negro bump other users threads it ends in confussion as this one has. Plus its different inits.