Skip to main content
Topic: Need Help With nvidia-xrun (Read 866 times) previous topic - next topic

Need Help With nvidia-xrun

So I guess I just installed things correctly for nvidia-xrun but running the command "nvidia-xrun" in a tty (while sddm is killed ofc) doesn't works. It gives some output, making a blank screen, coming back to the tty from blank screen and says operation terminated succesfully.

Xorg.0.log

Re: Need Help With nvidia-xrun

Reply #1
@pofdzm, I look you xorg log, but I don't see any NVIDIA driver loading. Did you install it?. You are loading these drivers:
line 87: intel
line 92: fbdev
line 98: vesa
line 111: fbdevhw

and after your system unload these modules:
line 303: fbdev
line 305: fbdevhw
line 307: vesa.

The only driver that remain active, is intel and probably you are using the integrated GPU of the Intel CPU and this is why nvidia-xrun don't work: you don't have nvidia driver running.

I'm not a great expert, but this is what your Xorg log tell :-)

Reply #2
@pofdzm, I look you xorg log, but I don't see any NVIDIA driver loading. Did you install it?. You are loading these drivers:
line 87: intel
line 92: fbdev
line 98: vesa
line 111: fbdevhw

and after your system unload these modules:
line 303: fbdev
line 305: fbdevhw
line 307: vesa.

The only driver that remain active, is intel and probably you are using the integrated GPU of the Intel CPU and this is why nvidia-xrun don't work: you don't have nvidia driver running.

I'm not a great expert, but this is what your Xorg log tell :-)

Thanks for the reply, it is probably cause of I use nvidia 390 drivers instead of the up to date driver package "nvidia" which is not supported by my GPU. Do you know how can I fix this?

Reply #3
Thanks for the reply, it is probably cause of I use nvidia 390 drivers instead of the up to date driver package "nvidia" which is not supported by my GPU. Do you know how can I fix this?

I was in a similar situation with an old notebook and, to solve the situation, I migrated to the nouveau driver. Probably you can do the same.

Reply #4
I was in a similar situation with an old notebook and, to solve the situation, I migrated to the nouveau driver. Probably you can do the same.
Well, I want to use the nvidia drivers cause I want better game performance.

Reply #5
Well, I want to use the nvidia drivers cause I want better game performance.

You can try with the nvidia-390xx-dkms in AUR. There is also the nvidia-340xx-dkms that is older.

I remember that, in some place, you can find which nvidia driver version to use, depending from the GPU. Good luck :-)

Reply #6
You can try with the nvidia-390xx-dkms in AUR. There is also the nvidia-340xx-dkms that is older.

I remember that, in some place, you can find which nvidia driver version to use, depending from the GPU. Good luck :-)

I use the nvidia-390xx-dkms in the Artix Repository, that driver also worked with bumblebee but it gave me poor performance, so I decided to use nvidia-xrun instead (the arch wiki and forum also says bumblebee gives lower performance).  Thanks anyways.