Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Can't enable 66 after migration from s6 (Read 5382 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Can't enable 66 after migration from s6

[Typed my post on the phone in another topic which got locked in the middle of my typing so I lost the message. Here it goes again...]

I migrated from s6 following the guide, but it seems my system doesn't put a console up. When I login by Ctrl+Alt+F12 and autologin to Xorg, my keyboard stops responding.

Several service names in 66 don't have names matching the packages, so pacman -Ql <package>-66 is needed to determine the correct name. But even after enabling those, I don't get a console.

Re: Can't enable 66 after migration from s6

Reply #1
What steps did you take for migration?
Make sure all of suite66-base is installed too.
Did you edit the 66 config with the 66-env step and force re-enable of changes with 66-enable -t boot -F boot@system?
Make sure your runlevel(such as sshd and others) services are in a separate default tree (66-tree -ncE default).

Also for another test, Remove and delete "default" tree
66-tree -RD default and reboot and see if that makes any difference(run services won't be running or started, but as a debug step)

Reply #2
Ok, now I started up my other computer so I can type more comfortably. First, this is what I see on the main console after booting my laptop to which I installed 66:

Also for another test, Remove and delete "default" tree
66-tree -RD default and reboot and see if that makes any difference(run services won't be running or started, but as a debug step)
I did that and nothing changed after reboot.

What steps did you take for migration?
Make sure all of suite66-base is installed too.
At first, I removed all *-s6 packages, which booted me out of Xorg and hanged my system. After rebooting from LiveUSB, I chrooted to my disk and did pacman -S 66 elogind-66. After that:
Code: [Select]
 66-tree -n boot
 66-env -t boot -e vim boot@system
 66-enable -t boot -F boot@system
 66-tree -ncE default
Then I 66-enable'd all the services for which I could find a match (for example, there is no apache-66 package).

Reply #3
List of services I had in s6:
https://paste.artixlinux.org/de3c43f6

66-env:
https://paste.artixlinux.org/a690cfed

Update: There was one service which I couldn't 66-enable: rpcbind.
# 66-enable rpcbind
66-enable: fatal: unable to parse service file: /etc/66/service/rpcbind: or its dependencies

Update 2: I managed to get the login prompt! It was the rc.local service. The file /etc/66/rc.local needs to be edited manually, and the line:
#!/usr/bin/execlineb -S0
added to the top.

However, now I got the message about some services failing to start. Here's the /run/66/log/0/current:
https://paste.artixlinux.org/76dee501

Reply #4
I just use pulseaudio myself, looks like you need to store alsa settings first as "start" runs alsactl restore and it looks like there is no state file that it looks for to restore alsa state. I will take a look at rpcbind and fix

Edit: rpcbind has been fixed, once mirrors sync it will be available.
Edit2: I also have re-done alsa a bit, to check if that file exists and if so then it runs alsactl restore. So you should not receive that error after installing newer version.

Reply #5
I have made some further progress. I had to edit /etc/66/service/wpa_supplicant, because my WiFi was unable to connect. I had to add:

[environment]
CONF_FILE=/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
WPA_INTERFACE=wlan0
DRIVER=nl80211
and then run:
# 66-disable wpa_supplicant
# 66-enable wpa_supplicant
# 66-start wpa_supplicant

Then I was able to pacman -Syu, but even after updating and rebooting alsa refused to start, so I did alsactl store and alsa could start without error. But I still get the "crashed" message. Here's my new log: https://paste.artixlinux.org/8788324b

The most interesting line is
66-all: fatal: unable to start atomic services list

Edit: Finally, when starting Xorg, keyboard and mouse are still unresponsive.

P.S: One more thing, there seems to be periodical disk writing in regular intervals (about twice per second), constantly. This is something which didn't happen with s6, unsure if it is related to some services being unable to start. - Judging from the logs, likely due to two copies of mysqld accidentally started during testing. Also NetworkManager with default configuration (maybe a similar issue like rc.local?).

P.P.S.: A suggestion related to the Wiki article about migration: I think you should prepend booting from LiveUSB and chrooting as the first step, as when init-related packages are removed, the system hangs, so it must be done anyway. That way, the unnecessary confusion related to system freezing could be avoided altogether.

Reply #6
I tried debugging by setting VERBOSITY=4 in /etc/66/init.conf. Here is the more detailed log: https://paste.artixlinux.org/227000f7

Relevant lines:
2021-05-24 16:09:09.664965381  s6-svlisten1: fatal: timed out
2021-05-24 16:09:09.665557005  s6-rc: warning: unable to start service dbus: command exited 99
2021-05-24 16:09:16.070162727  s6-rc: info: service lvm2-monitor successfully started
2021-05-24 16:09:17.465553442  s6-rc: info: service ufw successfully started
2021-05-24 16:09:17.465736833  66-all(src/lib66/ssexec_dbctl.c: ssexec_dbctl(): 349): fatal: unable to start services selection
2021-05-24 16:09:17.469926640  all-Runtime: fatal: crashed! -- Your machine is operational but some runtime service failed to start correctly. Please see the complete boot log at /run/66/log/0/current for further information.

Reply #7
2021-05-24 12:08:15.967296038  loadkeys: Warning: loading Unicode keymap on non-Unicode console
2021-05-24 12:08:15.967311620      (perhaps you want to do `kbd_mode -u'?)
. You may have your keymap setup wrong, reason for keyboard issue(maybe).

What does
66-intree
look like? Sorta looks like you have the trees setup wrong

Reply #8
66-intree output:
https://paste.artixlinux.org/7c719193

66-env: (first version)
https://paste.artixlinux.org/a690cfed
I have since replaced lat9w-16 with ter-c12n:
## Console keymap to load, see loadkeys(8).

KEYMAP=!us

## Console font to load, see setfont(8).

FONT=!ter-c12n

## Console map to load, see setfont(8).

#FONT_MAP=

## Console unimap to load, see setfont(8).

#FONT_UNIMAP=
Just to add that I was getting that same error message with s6 before. I had similar setup in /etc/vconsole.conf:
FONT=ter-c12n
KEYMAP=us

Reply #9
Ok here is some news, I have installed all the services you have and get same error in vm, so I will work on tracing which service it is that is the problem and work on fixing it.

Reply #10
I will try that and report. What do you think about this line from the log though?

s6-rc: warning: unable to start service dbus: command exited 99

Update: No, I'm still getting the error even after disabling the mariadb service and restarting. I mentioned it in the first place in relation to unusual hard disk activity, which was gone anyway after reboot.

About the console font, unlike in s6, in 66 my font isn't even set up by the startup scripts. Maybe because of the "crashing"?

Reply #11
I will try that and report. What do you think about this line from the log though?

s6-rc: warning: unable to start service dbus: command exited 99

Not sure yet, may not have been mariadb after all as I disabled and still get the issue. I am running 66 on my main and dbus doesn't give me any issue. :\

Also you don't need networkmanager and connman they do the same thing essentially

Reply #12
Also you don't need networkmanager and connman they do the same thing essentially
I figured it is like that since I checked the services on my desktop and I don't have NM installed there. However, wpa_supplicant still needed manual intervention (might be worth adding to migration guide, along with the advice about starting the migration by booting off LiveUSB).

Reply #13
May take me some time to debug which service is the issue. I didn't have to boot to a ISO to switch, but may be worth adding to be in console when switching, as this is where I was doing my init switches.

OK this time it does seem like mdadm, I disabled and rebooted the vm and no atomic error..

Reply #14
Though it is exactly as s6's script so I am not sure why it gives that.

Do you have DMRAID or w/e in your 66's config enabled?

Also check your mdadm config. I don't use mdadm so I've never used it nor know how to setup and use it, nor do I have RAID

I added the following link info to mdadm.conf and re-enabled and no error:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=877540#p877540

Also have updated mdadm-66 where that won't be needed, but in the meantime the above is a solution