Skip to main content
Topic: Manjaro openrc (Read 3384 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Manjaro openrc

Reply #1
I enjoyed Manjaro OpenRC, and I'm thankful it lead to Artix. Manjaro can focus on systemd fully, and Artix can focus on non-systemd fully. I will miss the Manjaro community however, but, hopefully we can develope a warm, welcoming and helpful community here in time. This can provide the best for all concerned. :)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #2
I enjoyed Manjaro OpenRC, and I'm thankful it lead to Artix. Manjaro can focus on systemd fully, and Artix can focus on non-systemd fully. I will miss the Manjaro community however, but, hopefully we can develope a warm, welcoming and helpful community here in time. This can provide the best for all concerned. :)

Best regards.
My thought as well

Reply #3
I wonder if the list of packages is locked against Manjaro-updates so they will not be purged, how long would it last.
Because if the system keeps on going and the only breakage is caused by the missing packages then the break is intentional to make Manjaro systemd ONLY!!

Which is the only reason I have kept an active installation ;)

Reply #4
I wonder if the list of packages is locked against Manjaro-updates so they will not be purged, how long would it last.
Because if the system keeps on going and the only breakage is caused by the missing packages then the break is intentional to make Manjaro systemd ONLY!!

Which is the only reason I have kept an active installation ;)

This is not having a go at you or other users but just the way it is Manjaro is not Arch they are not compatible.
I have been warning users for 4 years of this
How long did you use manjaro not long enough to get it that Manjaro and its band of apprentice devs mess about with package versions, patch when they don't need to alter where files are located, Get breakages every update as a result of their messing about, with the repros,  then blame Arch that has been stable for years now.When their is a upgrade problem its on the Arch front page and so is the solution no pass the buck no blame on tools that do not work.

Reply #5
RIP

Reply #6
How long did you use manjaro not long enough to get it that Manjaro and its band of apprentice devs mess about with package versions, patch when they don't need to alter where files are located

I can cut it short, without much detail, it was the reason which had finally led to the split, but it was brewing for a long time.
I always wanted to build all manjaro packages in automated manner, but I was alone with this aim. With the many donations on manjaro, this would have been easily possible in terms of hardware requirements.
The trouble is, manjaro need to modify arch packages from time to time, or better the config files of arch packages, eg for install media.
I consider that bad practice, and the way to address this properly, is to build the packages instead of fiddling with their config files. You jump constantly through hoops and need to do strange acrobatics instead of fixing the damn problem by building the packages.

Reply #7
At some point the bomb will explode in their hands, as this patch work does not make for a solid reliable distribution.  As you say they can shift blame anywhere but themselves.  All they care about is how the wrapping looks for the mass produced and consumed product.  Which is the reason I was cornered by the furer jonathon for calling for an official statement by Manjaro as being as systemd-only system.  Banning me was a lot easier than having to answer criticism.

Their distrowatch image, appearing as the system where all init systems and supervising software could easily be interchanged, quickly changed.  It used to be number one system with any init system you searched by other than systemd.  And we all know how untrue that was and how much work Artoo had to do to make OpenRc work.  Funny coincidence, distrowatch dropped the field from the distibution's description indicating what init system were they using.  Is it coincidence or is Manjaro a good advertising partner of distrowatch?

I started getting suspicious when a reported bug with linux413 was just shoved under the carpet than be dealt with.  Rc1, then 2 then 3, the bug was there.  Then a second person reported it, and there was silence again.  The same exact kernel on arch did not have a problem, on my hw.

Reply #8
I consider that bad practice, and the way to address this properly, is to build the packages instead of fiddling with their config files. You jump constantly through hoops and need to do strange acrobatics instead of fixing the damn problem by building the packages.

What does that mean exactly?