Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Turn off automount? (Read 2339 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Turn off automount?

I would like to turn off the automounting feature in Artix as I have some external hard drives that I plug in to work with at times. Currently every time a usb device is plugged in it automounts in /run/media/****, I wish to manually mount these drives to my own choice of mount point if possible.

Thank you!

Re: Turn off automount?

Reply #3
If nothing helped and you still have a problem, always give us relevant information when creating a topic (we really don't care that you had a good breakfast and that the computer is red) ;-)
If you have any logs, great!  And now describe your problem as accurately as possible. Sentences like "I installed it and it doesn't work" is grammatically correct, but it won't tell us anything. What's wrong? What you do? How?  What does it, that you think,  it doesn't work?
Read the article I linked. You supplied virtually no information. For example, I have installed Artix from base ISO, don't use a DE, and I don't have my media automounted.

Reply #4
There is nothing actually 'wrong' with my system, which is why I don't think any logs would help in this case. I would like to know which piece of software handles automounting, I am quite happy to research how to turn it off if I know where to look.  :D

The Arch wiki is not helpful as it uses systemd to mount devices.

Reply #5
There is no default "automount" mechanism in Artix. You apparently installed something that automounts drives for you. It could be a million different things. There's no way for any of us to know.

Reply #6
There is no default "automount" mechanism in Artix. You apparently installed something that automounts drives for you. It could be a million different things. There's no way for any of us to know.

Thank you for that, I thought that it happened immediately after install of the openrc- lxqt iso, but I could be wrong about that, I will check with another fresh install.

Reply #7
I have just downloaded the latest lxqt-openrc iso, booted in live mode, then inserted a usb stick and it was immediately mounted automatically....

I am sorry to have to ask again, but does anyone here know what causes this behaviour please?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Reply #8
It most likely is some software that comes with lxqt. DEs all tend to do that kind of thing.

SOLVED Re: Turn off automount?

Reply #9
It most likely is some software that comes with lxqt. DEs all tend to do that kind of thing.

I agree, I love Artix but so far have been unable to do without a DE by building from the base iso. I have partially succeeded in installing Fluxbox but have trouble in getting the system to shutdown rather than just log out. I only use LXQT because it is the least bloated of the full isos. I will keep trying though  ;D

I have found the culprit on the automount problem and it was pcmanfm-qt, I tried to alter the config to stop automounting but was unable to. Removing pcmanfm-qt cured the 'problem' for me, and I can either install another  file manager or just stick with the excellent midnight commander.

Reply #10
Thanks for the information that you use LXQt and PCManFM-Qt.

Automount can be configured in the applications menu of PCManFM:
Go to -> Preferences -> Volume and disable or enable items to your need.

Reply #11
Thanks for the information that you use LXQt and PCManFM-Qt.

Automount can be configured in the applications menu of PCManFM:
Go to -> Preferences -> Volume and disable or enable items to your need.

Thanks for the reply, I was aware of that and had previously tried it without apparent success, however, I have tried again on another installation and you are right! I must have missed some config or other on the previous attempt, apologies for troubling everyone.

Re: [SOLVED] Turn off automount?

Reply #12
That is not the answer

pcmanfm isn't automounting anything.  It is using a freedesktop service to do that and that service needs to be turned off somehow.

Reply #13

No doubt but it there are only so many of them and it is nearly impossible to do an install without them being installed.  The GIMP has a gvfs dependency.  There is no reason to make it a mandatory dependency, but the package doesn't seem to care about that.  Meanwhile, automounting is out of control. 

Re: [SOLVED] Turn off automount?

Reply #14
Code: [Select]
flatbush:[ruben]:~$ sudo rc-status 
Runlevel: default
 syslog-ng                                                                     [  started 00:18:39 (0) ]
 acpid                                                                         [  started 00:18:39 (0) ]
 cronie                                                                        [  started 00:18:39 (0) ]
 dbus                                                                          [  started 00:18:45 (0) ]
 dhcpcd                                                                        [  started 00:18:39 (0) ]
 net.eth0                                                                                  [  started  ]
 netmount                                                                                  [  started  ]
 sshd                                                                          [  started 00:18:39 (0) ]
 cupsd                                                                         [  started 00:18:33 (0) ]
 lxdm                                                                                      [  started  ]
 alsasound                                                                                 [  started  ]
 local                                                                                     [  started  ]
 agetty.tty1                                                                   [  started 00:18:13 (0) ]
 agetty.tty2                                                                   [  started 00:18:13 (0) ]
 agetty.tty3                                                                   [  started 00:18:13 (0) ]
 agetty.tty4                                                                   [  started 00:18:13 (0) ]
 agetty.tty5                                                                   [  started 00:18:13 (0) ]
 agetty.tty6                                                                   [  started 00:18:13 (0) ]
Dynamic Runlevel: hotplugged
Dynamic Runlevel: needed/wanted
 xdm-setup                                                                                 [  started  ]
 avahi-daemon                                                                  [  started 00:18:33 (0) ]
Dynamic Runlevel: manual
 openrc-settingsd                                                                          [  started  ]
flatbush:[ruben]:~$

where is the automounter?