Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Installation Goes OK, But Fail Installing Grub (Read 4260 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Installation Goes OK, But Fail Installing Grub

Hi,
I am just trying to install my Artix (openrc, KDE) and got a cable connected and have internet.

Everything goes fine, then it starts installing Grub, but I get an error message and can't boot to Artix.

I previously installed Artix on same machine same everything!
I must not exclude an option that during installation I selected something wrong or did something incompatible.

I don't care about any data on my machine.

What am I doing wrong? Why it is happening now not before?

Any guidance?
Code: [Select]
$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0 460.1G  0 part /
└─sda2   8:2    0   5.6G  0 part [SWAP]
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom 
limo@lenovo:~

I am cureently on MX Linux
System:
  Host: lenovo Kernel: 5.10.0-9-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A
  Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.20.5 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM
  Distro: MX-21_KDE_x64 Wildflower October 20  2021
  base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Machine:

Should I create some specific patitions? Currently have:
KDE Partition Manager
Version 20.12.2
Thank you.

P.S. Same happened with some other distros like PCLinuxOS, but MX Linux went fine with no issues. (that is so confusing for me, why a distro goes fine and others not, same machine, same me!)
System:  Kernel: 6.4.10-artix1-1 , KDE Plasma 5.27.7, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Dual Core  i7-8550U bits: 64
8 GB Ram - SSD:  (250 GiB), BTRFS

Re: Installation Goes OK, But Fail Installing Gub

Reply #2
Reinstall using the option to erase everything on disk in Calamares installer.
I believe I tried this.
Any other?
System:  Kernel: 6.4.10-artix1-1 , KDE Plasma 5.27.7, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx

Reply #3
Reinstall using the option to erase everything on disk in Calamares installer.

I selected the erase everything!
says: Could not prepare boot variable: no space left on drive

Retrying manual partitioning. Created a fat32 partition. Hope it works
Trying to take a clue from https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=260759 and https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Installation#Format_partitions

Reply #4
Why were you re-installing? Is this a UEFI or BIOS machine? You were using a weekly build or official release?

Reply #5
Why were you re-installing? Is this a UEFI or BIOS machine? You were using a weekly build or official release?
it is
ARTIX_202107

and it is a UEFI machine.

I was reinstalling because the naughty-me-as-usual installed a few other distros to try. And I still prefer Artix.
(honestly, the best distro I came across, just let alone it is for advanced users not beginners - I don't want to go into "politics" here, I can manage to some extent the command line)

P.S> If you are suspicious about the release I downloaded and suggest another release just the link will be OK with me. All what I need is KDE and preferably openrc.

Reply #6
I was reinstalling because the naughty-me-as-usual installed a few other distros to try. And I still prefer Artix.
See here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/QEMU

It's what I use to test different flavors of Artix and other distros.

Reply #7
202107 is the stable release. It should work without any issues.

Download the iso again. Verify the checksum before creating your boot-able media. Create a new GPT partition table on /dev/sda and follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Partitioning#Example_layouts to create partitions for your system.

Like @strajder said above, test distros in a virtual environment.

Reply #8
See here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/QEMU

It's what I use to test different flavors of Artix and other distros.
Sure. Thanks a lot.
Still hope to install.
I don’t understand why now it is doing this though earlier I installed normally.

Reply #9
Hello,
Is your / boot partition in FAT32 big enough and does it have the "boot" and "esp" flags ?
I once had a problem like yours, because the partition was too small. Currently it is 100MB and I use half of it.

Reply #10
Hello,
Is your / boot partition in FAT32 big enough and does it have the "boot" and "esp" flags ?
I once had a problem like yours, because the partition was too small. Currently it is 100MB and I use half of it.
I tried many things, many sizes, many flags.

I tend to think there was an "update" in grub over the past few days that crated a bug somehow. I assume an update because I was installing online.
The same USB I installed Artix, Endeavour (online and selecting KDE) and PcLinuxOs before, same machine. The only thing in common they ar all rolling distros.

But the only distro that went fine was MX Linux (not  a rolling distro)
I don't know if this gives any clue?.. I don't know why it is so.

p.s. I downloaded my Artix again via torrent, checked hash... the live USB is working fine for all distros.
p.p.s. Assuming the already installed MX has all drives properly segmented, trying to install (hopefully to use current partitioning which is working, give same error)
Maybe Grub developers can comment.

Reply #11
The installer itself perhaps?
$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0  96.6G  0 part /
├─sda2   8:2    0   5.6G  0 part [SWAP]
└─sda3   8:3    0 363.5G  0 part /home
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom 

Reply #12
There are no problems here. You can try to repartition the hard disk manually by removing all partitions on it from a LiveISO or a rescue disk, then install Artix.

What Artix ISO are you using exactly?

P.S: Please use the Quick Edit or Modify function instead of posting several messages in a row.

Reply #13
There are no problems here. You can try to repartition the hard disk manually by removing all partitions on it from a LiveISO or a rescue disk, then install Artix.

What Artix ISO are you using exactly?

P.S: Please use the Quick Edit or Modify function instead of posting several messages in a row.
The same ISO (202107) This on to be specific https://torrents.artixlinux.org/artix-plasma-openrc-20210726-x86_64.iso.torrent
I tried the option to use entire disk, tried manual partitioning.
Apologies for sequential posting. Seems mistakenly touched something that caused "quoting" my own post. Tried to delete it but couldnt. Sorry.

P.S. it seems to be a common problem with many other distros https://start.duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+grub+install+fails&atb=v300-7__&ia=web

Reply #14
I just tested reinstallation using the ISO you stated:
artix-plasma-openrc-20210726-x86_64.iso
using the "Erase disk" option, and it went without any errors.

You can try to install by opening konsole (maximize it) in LiveISO and entering the following commands:

$ su
# calamares -d >calamares.log 2>&1
Use the "Erase disk" on the fourth screen ("Partitions"), then when the installation completes (or not), don't choose "Restart now", but close the installer.

Start KWrite, choose File->Open... navigate to Home, then choose calamares.log and Open. Choose Edit->Select All, then Edit->Copy.

Start Falkon, go to https://paste.artixlinux.org and in the field "Paste your paste here" press Ctrl+V. Then copy the URL of the page you get when clicking Create here.