Skip to main content
Topic: cannot resolve "linux-lts>=4.9.66", a dependency of "nvidia-lts" (Read 1876 times) previous topic - next topic

cannot resolve "linux-lts>=4.9.66", a dependency of "nvidia-lts"

I'm not entirely sure what is causing this (package propagation order ?)
I assume it will be fixed automatically with time.

I'm just mentioning this because after having tested the migration to Artix on my own computer, I planned to do the same for the ones at work (I was on Arch, then Manjaro-OpenRC for years, as I need to be up-to-date for compilers and libs).
Alas, when I the migration window came, a similar (if not exactly the same) issue happened, the Artix pages were down and the partial system broken.  After a few tries switching mirrors and in order to avoid losing too much productivity I had to give up on Artix at work and install my next choice for a systemd-free Linux.

I'm only mentioning this because I wish all the success to this project (I plan to keep using it for my personal desktop) and this kind of snafu (?) is likely to keep it out of professionals's systems.

Re: cannot resolve "linux-lts>=4.9.66", a dependency of "nvidia-lts"

Reply #1
cannot resolve "linux-lts>=4.9.66", a dependency of "nvidia-lts"

That's because on stable repo we don't have that version of the package. The linux-lts-4.9.66-1 package is on artix testing repo.

If only you enabled the testing repo, you could fix this issue easily
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #2
Then why is the nvidia-lts package depending on it ? I don't use testing repositories for reasons that I expect to be obvious.
(Just to be more clear: the nvidia-lts I have is not linked to any testing respository so, IMHO, it should not depend on something that's not yet in "stable".)

Reply #3
The nvidia packages specifically depend on certain versions of the kernel. This is by design since it is proprietary. If you aren't using the nvidia-ck driver from the Artix repo along with the linux-ck kernel, then you should use nvidia-dkms since there is no guarantee that the Arch nvidia packages will update in lockstep with the Artix kernel updates. The dkms package rebuilds itself for any kernel, so that should make it easy on you.

Reply #4
Right, thanks for the tip.
What escapes me is why the nvidia-lts depending on that specific version of the kernel is not pushed at the same time as the kernel.

Reply #5
What escapes me is why the nvidia-lts depending on that specific version of the kernel is not pushed at the same time as the kernel.

It's because it's coming from Arch, something that we can't handle at the moment
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #6
It's because it's coming from Arch, something that we can't handle at the moment

I think the binaries are only released for certain kernel versions, so it really al starts with NVIDIA

Reply #7

I think the binaries are only released for certain kernel versions, so it really al starts with NVIDIA

no

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/nvidia-lts&id=3dfae783b95332471d857e0230f5060d721fa2b1

Arch's did it because they introduced a new version of linux-lts (4.9.66) so they have to rebuild nvidia against it

If you didn't understand in the link I provided above, you better start learning about how PKGBUILD works :

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD

Reply #8
linux-LTS is in testing if you need it I just upgraded both the LTS-kernel and nvidia

Reply #9
no

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/nvidia-lts&id=3dfae783b95332471d857e0230f5060d721fa2b1

Arch's did it because they introduced a new version of linux-lts (4.9.66) so they have to rebuild nvidia against it

If you didn't understand in the link I provided above, you better start learning about how PKGBUILD works :

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD

binary blobs are stripped, not built.  nvdia blobs don't always work smothly with each kernel release.  The nvdia war started long before you could reach a keyboard and will probably continue,  if the research done y Don Marti and the FSF's legal team is correct, long after we are both dead.  You need to learn something about the evolution and developement of these issues because the problem isn't the tool, but the legal standoff.

Reply #10
It makes sense now, thanks for the explanations.

Reply #12
mrbrklyn this is the LTS kernel. ABIs do not change in LTS between minor revisions. This has absolutely nothing to do with problems between nvidia and the linux kernel. What happend here is that the nvidia module has to be recompiled each time a new minor kernel revision is made.

So for example if I install linux-lts 4.9.67 I also need to install the kernel module for nvidia compiled for 4.9.67. The only time a the linux kernel would not work with the nvidia driver would be for a major change, for example going from linux 4.9.x to 4.14.x. If 4.14 has a diferent driver ABI it would require nvidia to update their "binary blobs" to work with 4.14.

What you are talking about is irrelevant to this topic and has nothing to do with the problem.
Chris Cromer