Skip to main content
Topic: Problem with 5.16.1 kernel (Read 812 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with 5.16.1 kernel

Hello
Today when i upgraded my kernel to 5.16.1 version, and rebooted my pc, instead lightdm-greeter, i saw the linux terminal with asking me about a login to localhost, but i couldn't log in, because my keyboard refused to work. The same with next reboots.
Everything works fine, after downgrading kernel to 5.15.12 version in chroot.

I am kinda new linux user, so i don't know which log files would you want,  but i am just reporting a bug i found.

Here is a video with the bug https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5fprmkRrEc

Re: Problem with 5.16.1 kernel

Reply #1
and those aren't invisible letters, if somebody asked. When i pressed enter, it didn't work either.
When i unplugged and plugged a keyboard (or even plugged another one) it didn't even turn its light on.

Reply #2
i upgraded kernel again, and it doesn't work again, but above localhost login line i see line
linux 5.15.12, but i updated it to 5.16.1

Reply #3
I broke my neck trying to watch your video and it showed your room instead of the actual output on the screen.
Anyway, since we package the Arch's kernel I think you should get more information on your issue and check on bugs.archlinux.org if there is something related or to post a bug there

Reply #4
Which hardware is this problem appearing in?  CPU model# in particular

If it is an old cpu (15+ years old) it may be worth your while to drop back to 5.10-lts or earlier, the problem is you have to build newer versions on your own as arch stopped at 90 I think.  Does Artix have an archive repository for previous versions of pkgs?  Arch does, and you can download and install the kernel and headers from the archive.  I think around Jan16 is when the last 5.10 was built.

Reply #6
Try linux-zen, it is currently at 5.16.3

Reply #7
The reason I mentioned 5.10 is that its given timeline is to expire in 2026 while 5.15 that just became -lts it is planned to expire in 2024.  So I am deducing it is a crappy kernel but they had to bring out a younger lts

I am building my own 5.10 with various changes, one is to have radeon gfx enabled so I don't need the huge linux-firmware pkg.

Reply #8
I'm using for more than 1 year linux-hardened kernel and it works pretty well. Now linux-hardened kernel is still at 5.15.16 version so there must be a reason they did not jump yet on 5.16 version like the default linux kernel. Being a security focused kernel they must have in mind stability + security that's why i would recommend this version of the kernel. Also it has the corresponding hardened headers.