Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] two problems after Artix install (Read 4323 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] two problems after Artix install

I install Artix with Openrc and I have some problems.

1: I can't use wifi. kernel start the wlan0 service but inactive.

Code: [Select]
[smjt2000@artixlinux ~]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 0b)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 0b)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI KT (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I218-LM (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev e4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev e4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev e4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev 73)
03:00.0 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. SD/MMC Card Reader Controller (rev 01)

[smjt2000@artixlinux ~]$ nmcli radio wifi
disabled

[smjt2000@artixlinux ~]$ nmcli radio wifi on
Error: failed to set Wi-Fi radio: Method "Set" with signature "ssv" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist

[smjt2000@artixlinux ~]$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

[smjt2000@artixlinux ~]$ nmcli dev wifi connect FM-M40-G1176
Error: No Wi-Fi device found.

[smjt2000@artixlinux ~]$ nmcli dev wifi list

[smjt2000@artixlinux ~]$

2: each time I boot the machine, after a time I can't open any application and I can't reboot or logout. if I want to do anything, I must shutdown by pressing the power key of my laptop.

Re: two problems after install artix

Reply #2
[smjt2000@artixlinux ~]$ cat /etc/os-release 
NAME="Artix Linux"
PRETTY_NAME="Artix Linux"
ID=artix
BUILD_ID=rolling
ANSI_COLOR="0;36"
HOME_URL="https://www.artixlinux.org/"
DOCUMENTATION_URL="https://wiki.artixlinux.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://forum.artixlinux.org/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.artixlinux.org/"
LOGO=artixlinux

Reply #3
Hm, which ISO did you use to install? Your /etc/os-release is missing the VARIANT and VERSION_ID variables, which have been stamped-in by our build script for over a year.

Reply #4
I used base ISO stable.
artix-base-openrc-20220123-x86_64

Reply #5
for connecting to internet I'm using my phone with USB tethering option.

I closed the laptop lead because I had to go and when I opened laptop lead I got this message on a black screen.(I'm not good in English)

The screen locker is broken and unlocking is not possible anymore.
In order to unlock switch to a virtual terminal (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F2),log in and execute the command:
loginctl unlock-session 1
Then log out virtual session by pressing Ctrl+D, and switch back to the running session (Ctrl+Alt+F7)

I closed the lead because I can't open any app or shutdown, sleep, reboot

Reply #6
I have had similar problems with the openrc iso, I tried to install it on a new laptop, and whenever the wifi is connected no programs will open from the menu (LXQT-openrc latest official iso). It also happened with  the weekly iso as well, so I gave up and went with LXQT-dinit instead, everything is fine with that iso.

The OP may find that if he disconnects from the internet, all the menu entries work perfectly including the shutdown menu.

Reply #7
I have had similar problems with the openrc iso, I tried to install it on a new laptop, and whenever the wifi is connected no programs will open from the menu (LXQT-openrc latest official iso). It also happened with  the weekly iso as well, so I gave up and went with LXQT-dinit instead, everything is fine with that iso.

The OP may find that if he disconnects from the internet, all the menu entries work perfectly including the shutdown menu.
The problem is I can't connect to internet with wifi. wlan0 starts but inactive.
when I boot the machine, eth0 waits for a connection and i takes time about 30 seconds and then continue booting, it's not good. I think I must change the runlevel.

Reply #8
The problem is I can't connect to internet with wifi. wlan0 starts but inactive.
when I boot the machine, eth0 waits for a connection and i takes time about 30 seconds and then continue booting, it's not good. I think I must change the runlevel.

I am not suggesting an answer to your wifi problem, just suggesting that you may like to try disconnecting your USB tether and see if that then makes the menu entries work again.

Reply #9
I am not suggesting an answer to your wifi problem, just suggesting that you may like to try disconnecting your USB tether and see if that then makes the menu entries work again.
Aha.
I will try that.

Reply #10
Could also try
$ rfkill
$ iw dev
$ ip link show
but that would only be for a wifi problem. Setting / changing the hostname might help too? That's caused weird errors before.

Reply #11

This sounds like the issue described in https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Troubleshooting#Applications_won.27t_open_while_Wireless_connection_is_active

Reply #12

Thanks for the link artist, I didn't know about that, I will try it out soon and see if it solves the problem for me.

Have you any idea why the problem seems to affect openrc  and not dinit?

Thanks.

Edit: It used to happen in the past on the lxqt-openrc live iso (weekly editions), but if calamares was launched before connecting to wifi then the resulting install was unaffected by the issue. However, the current official iso and later weekly isos suffer from the the problem when installed also. Openrc  were the only isos I tried before my last experiment with dinit which is unaffected by this problem.

Reply #13
Have you any idea why the problem seems to affect openrc  and not dinit?
The problem should be init-agnostic and originating at least from as early as 2010. It is tied to NetworkManager and it's hostname management. For reference, here's a related post.

Reply #14
The problem should be init-agnostic and originating at least from as early as 2010. It is tied to NetworkManager and it's hostname management. For reference, here's a related post.

I must admit I had forgotten about that thread....  :-[

But I can confirm that in my experience on this particular laptop, the problem only existed on openrc and the dinit variant behave perfectly in both the live form and the install.

Thanks anyway for bringing that thread to my attention again.