Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: lib32-gcc-libs 7.2.1-2 breaks Multilib (Read 2832 times) previous topic - next topic

lib32-gcc-libs 7.2.1-2 breaks Multilib

To update lib32-gcc-libs wants to remove gcc-multilib and gcc-libs-multilib and replace them with gcc and gcc-libs.

Re: lib32-gcc-libs 7.2.1-2 breaks Multilib

Reply #1
To update lib32-gcc-libs wants to remove gcc-multilib and gcc-libs-multilib and replace them with gcc and gcc-libs.

Do you have "lib32" enabled in "etc/pacman.conf"?

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #3
I have a similar problem. Upon removing gcc-libs-multilib and installing lib32-gcc-libs, various core commands stop working like xdm and even man.

This is what man outputs:
Code: [Select]
man: command exited with status 127: /usr/lib/man-db/zsoelim | /usr/lib/man-db/manconv -f UTF-8:ISO-8859-1 -t UTF-8//IGNORE | preconv -e UTF-8 | tbl | nroff -mandoc -rLL=156n -rLT=156n -Tascii

However, if I don't remove gcc-libs-multilib, I get a package conflict and can't update my system...

Reply #4

Yes because multilib-devel is deprecated

Did you read the news?
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2017-November/029034.html

So what was the error here? Please paste the log instead of interpret it

If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #5

Don't know what to say.....I am running all testing repos, and "lib32-gcc-libs" updated fine for me. I am not running "multilib" and don't have "lib32" enabled, so for me "lib32-gcc-libs" is obviously a leftover remnant from Manjaro-Openrc....going to remove it.
Hopefully someone can give better help. ;)

Best regards.

Edit: Perhaps "lib32"  hasn't been updated yet??
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #6
All my multilib stuff is from lib32 and it is in lib32 that the conflict arises. The arch page only says multilib is being removed in favour of lib32 which as far as I can see has now happened as least as far as multilib is concerned. I need multilib unless its functionality is   available from another package?

Reply #7
unless its functionality is   available from another package?

Did you even read the news?

It clearly says that the multilib-devel will merge with core devel

Merging multilib toolchain with [core]

Hi,

For a long time we have been maintaining multilib-enabled gcc package
separately under [multilib] repo. Compilation takes a lot and usually it
falls behind because I forget to keep it in sync with [core].

I propose to merge it with core/gcc instead and split lib32-gcc-libs.
The latter would be moved to [core] due to dbscripts inability to
maintain split packages in multiple repositories. On the same note, the
same would happen to lib32-glibc.

Any objections?
Bartłomiej
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #9
Did you even read the news?

It clearly says that the multilib-devel will merge with core devel

??? "gcc-multilib", "gcc-libs-multilib", and "lib32-gcc-libs" are still in artix repo.

http://mirror1.artixlinux.org/repos/lib32/os/x86_64/

Best regards.

Reply #10
Are you suggesting I should enable Arch core ?

Did I?
But we are planning to add them into our repo

We already did, I just forgot to check it

??? "gcc-multilib", "gcc-libs-multilib", and "lib32-gcc-libs" are still in artix repo.

Best regards.

Doesn't negate anything what I said before. Or you want me to purge them to make it clear?

Reply #11

Best regards.
Yes I know and that is what I have and that is where the conflict is! well sort of I see the problem file is actually from the "system" repo.

Reply #12
So again, what was the error here? Pacman already told you that multilib is now replaced with gcc packages

I even give you the link that related with the changes

What part of it that you don't understand?

Reply #13
So again, what was the error here? Pacman already told you that multilib is now replaced with gcc packages

I even give you the link that related with the changes

What part of it that you don't understand?
Did I?
But we are planning to add them into our repo

We already did, I just forgot to check it

Doesn't negate anything what I said before. Or you want me to purge them to make it clear?

You can purge whatever you like...perhaps your attitude could be purged for a better one??
Why are you flying off the handle here? No need to get all bent out of shape, is there?

Regards.

Reply #14
It turns out that gcc now has multilib functionality and the gcc-libs also have it so pacman was right but I did not know about the multilib change hence my query. If this had been stated in any of the responses it would have been helpful as it is I consider the topic solved.