Skip to main content
Topic: [solved] migrating form archlinux in a vm (Read 559 times) previous topic - next topic

[solved] migrating form archlinux in a vm

thought i would try a migration from a virtual machine install of arch to artix before doing it on real hardware.

following the migration guide i am stuck after removing  systemd.

I get an error when preforming this command
cp -vf pacman.d/mirrorlist.artix pacman.d/mirrorlist

says file not found.  closed out  the terminal i was in, and turns out i cant launch a terminal or a file manager or any other program.

any advice? thanks

Re: migrating form archlinux in a vm

Reply #1
thought i would try a migration from a virtual machine install of arch to artix before doing it on real hardware.

following the migration guide i am stuck after removing  systemd.

I get an error when preforming this command
cp -vf pacman.d/mirrorlist.artix pacman.d/mirrorlist

says file not found.  closed out  the terminal i was in, and turns out i cant launch a terminal or a file manager or any other program.

any advice? thanks
The fact that the file is not found means you skipped a previous step which creates that file. Or it is because you are using a relative path(which is what you wrote in this message) which also is not correct, the instructions don't have a relative path. Please go back and follow the guide exactly as it says.
Chris Cromer

Reply #2
You didn't follow the guide closely.

Keep in mind the migration guide is for advanced users who know what they are doing. It is in "Advanced tasks" section. To quote the guide:
Note: Migration is for advanced users that know what they are doing. In general, doing a fresh installation is the preferred way to get started on Artix.

Reply #3
... the instructions don't have a relative path. Please go back and follow the guide exactly as it says.

the instructions in the guide are written exactly as i typed them in my original post. 

but now that you point it out, i do need to prepend /etc/ to those paths

aside from this, the virtual OS  did become totally unresponsive after i removed the systemd components. 

i guess i'll try again

Reply #4
You didn't follow the guide closely.

Keep in mind the migration guide is for advanced users who know what they are doing. It is in "Advanced tasks" section. To quote the guide:

well i thought i did follow it closely.  i guess not close enough. i'll try again

Reply #5
well i thought i did follow it closely.  i guess not close enough. i'll try again
The wiki article didn't actually specify the full absolute path there, but by following the part of the guide titled Prepare the repositories:
Code: [Select]
cp -vf /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.artix
one is already familiar with the full pathname of the file mirrorlist.artix, so it shouldn't normally cause confusion. Nevertheless, I have added the /etc/ part in the article.