Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] failed to load nvidia-uvm to failing to boot on start up (Read 5188 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] failed to load nvidia-uvm to failing to boot on start up

been messing with the version of the linux kernel for Artix I've been using and reinstalled installed because of it just to get the same error on start up: "Failed to Load nvidia-uvm           [!!]" then my system will run and not boot into my login DE. I have everything up to date on this fresh install and this all started because my BrosTrend wifi adapter wouldn't connect to the internet. I clearly have a NVIDIA card and I don't even have a way to get into a safe terminal.

I don't see anyway to embed videos and I can't really copy and paste my problem but here is the best I can do to show you my issue: https://anonfiles.com/R5I103I0x1/VID_20220216_201822_mp4

I just need to know if there is ANY way to get into the my system to save my install so it can at the very least boot normally

Re: failed to load nvidia-uvm to failing to boot on start up

Reply #1
Try installing linux-xanmod-edge, info listed here: https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,3703.msg23984.html Maybe a dkms issue and this kernel is built against newer gcc, which has been current problem atm.

You'll need to boot into a liveusb/iso and mount then chroot into it and add the info on that page in /etc/pacman.conf ; pacman -Sy ; pacman -S linux-xanmod-edge{,-headers}

Reply #2
Am having a similar problem that may be related.

Code: [Select]
==> dkms install --no-depmod nvidia/510.47.03 -k 5.16.8-artix1-2
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.16.8-artix1-2 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/510.47.03/build/make.log for more information.
==> WARNING: `dkms install --no-depmod nvidia/510.47.03 -k 5.16.8-artix1-2' exited 10

/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/510.47.03/build
doesn't exist but

/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/510.47.03/source
does.

Reply #3
I'm having this problem too with nvidia-dkms, I had to revert to nvidia and linux instead of nvidia-dkms & linux-lts

Reply #5
kenny_w That is exactly what I ended doing also.

ndowens Appreciate the offer but my system doesn't work well with heavily patched kernels. First gen Ryzen (1700x) with x370 chipset which is notorious for poor memory handling. Was using the Zen kernel for a while but added another 16gigs and the system wouldn't even boot. Went back to lts and system finally stabilized.

You and the rest of the devs keep up the good work.

Reply #6
I also have the same problem. It isn't a dkms issue specifically.  The rest of my dkms modules build fine. It's only the "nvidia_uvm" module that won't load. The strange part is that it loads just fine later, just not during boot. My guess is that it needs some other module to be loaded first and fails without it... then later it loads fine after the needed module is loaded.

Still haven't found what is causing it though.

This is what I get in dmesg:
[    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=a3da5225-7545-4042-9d99-a3e44e8731be rw resume=UUID=581fee06-b2be-4b9a-a425-8afc26271638 quiet nvidia-drm.modeset=1
[    0.041138] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=a3da5225-7545-4042-9d99-a3e44e8731be rw resume=UUID=581fee06-b2be-4b9a-a425-8afc26271638 quiet nvidia-drm.modeset=1
[    1.497579] nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[    1.497591] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
[    1.513059] nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[    1.538444] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 235
[    1.539181] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0003)
[    1.539277] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=none
[    1.584720] nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms  510.54  Tue Feb  8 04:34:06 UTC 2022
[    1.587124] nvidia_uvm: module uses symbols from proprietary module nvidia, inheriting taint.
[    1.596931] nvidia-uvm: Loaded the UVM driver, major device number 511.
[    1.597828] [drm] [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Loading driver
[    2.499540] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20160202 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
Chris Cromer

Reply #7
Try installing linux-xanmod-edge, info listed here: https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,3703.msg23984.html Maybe a dkms issue and this kernel is built against newer gcc, which has been current problem atm.

You'll need to boot into a liveusb/iso and mount then chroot into it and add the info on that page in /etc/pacman.conf ; pacman -Sy ; pacman -S linux-xanmod-edge{,-headers}

Fresh install. Got that error installed all your fixes and I still have the same error to no boot. I am running a Nvidia 960 if that means anything and I even changed my innit system from openrc to runit no no success.
I just keep coming across this error.

Reply #8
Try using a live cd to get into the system and then check logs in /var/log. Perhaps that will give you an idea of what is going on.

Reply #9
Try using a live cd to get into the system and then check logs in /var/log. Perhaps that will give you an idea of what is going on.
Alright in /var/log I have:
audit      cups        everything.log  lightdm       syslog.log  Xorg.0.log.old
auth.log   daemon.log  gssproxy        messages.log  user.log
btmp       dmesg.log   kernel.log      old           wtmp
crond.log  errors.log  lastlog         pacman.log    Xorg.0.log
I nano'd into Kernel.log, everything.log and errors.log (No Idea how to paste from nano to this site)
What would I need to get into too actively see my issue? Because I couldn't find anything about uvm in these logs

Reply #11
Alright I tried this too:
artix-live:[root]:/# uname -a
Linux artix-live 5.16.10-artix1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu, 17 Feb 2022 11:05:36 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
artix-live:[root]:/# modinfo nvidia-uvm
modinfo: ERROR: Module nvidia-uvm not found.
artix-live:[root]:/# pacman -Qs nvidia
local/egl-wayland 2:1.1.9+r3+g582b2d3-1
    EGLStream-based Wayland external platform
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 510.54-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/libvdpau 1.4-1.1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/nvidia-utils 510.54-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities
local/xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.17-2 (xorg-drivers)
    Open Source 3D acceleration driver for nVidia cards

(Using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960)

Reply #12
Alright I tried this too:
artix-live:[root]:/# uname -a
Linux artix-live 5.16.10-artix1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu, 17 Feb 2022 11:05:36 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
artix-live:[root]:/# modinfo nvidia-uvm
modinfo: ERROR: Module nvidia-uvm not found.
artix-live:[root]:/# pacman -Qs nvidia
local/egl-wayland 2:1.1.9+r3+g582b2d3-1
    EGLStream-based Wayland external platform
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 510.54-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/libvdpau 1.4-1.1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/nvidia-utils 510.54-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities
local/xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.17-2 (xorg-drivers)
    Open Source 3D acceleration driver for nVidia cards

(Using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960)

The live ISO does not have nvidia drivers in it. So naturally it won't have that error.

The strange part is that I have that error, but my DM and DE work just fine.

Do you use early kms? I do and I have all 4 nvidia modules in my mkinitcpio.conf so that it gets loaded during initramfs.
Chris Cromer

Reply #13
Do you use early kms? I do and I have all 4 nvidia modules in myso that it gets loaded during initramfs.
No idea what kms I use. Do you by change have the commands that would be relevant to figuring that out?
Also my /etc/mkinitcpio.conf just has information about hooks and binaries and files and whatnot.(probably just all the defaults) I might be reading something off the liveusb but I am in root so maybe not.

Reply #14
No idea what kms I use. Do you by change have the commands that would be relevant to figuring that out?
Also my /etc/mkinitcpio.conf just has information about hooks and binaries and files and whatnot.(probably just all the defaults) I might be reading something off the liveusb but I am in root so maybe not.
Here is info on early kms:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA#Early_loading
Chris Cromer