Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Printer drivers (Read 1555 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Printer drivers

Hello everyone.  I have purchased - perhaps carelessly - a PANTUM 6506 printer. I have downloaded the drivers available on the manufacturer's site, but there is only a .deb package.- Do you think there is any way to be able to use the drivers in .deb format in Artix ? From the question you will easily understand that I am a newbie, that's why I am asking for help. I would hate to have wasted some money. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Giorgio

Re: Printer drivers

Reply #2
Checking the AUR:

aur/pantum-p1000-p2000-p3000-m5100-m5200-ppd-driver 1.00_1-4 [1 / 0.000005]
    PPDs, drivers, for Pantum P1000, P2000, P3000, M5100, M5200 printers
aur/pantum-p2200-p2500-driver 1_80-1 [2 / 0.001049]
    Pantum P2200 and P2500 series drivers
aur/pantum_driver 1.1.5-0.1 [2 / 0.000284]
    Pantum M6200-M6500-M6550-M6600-MS6000 Series LINUX Driver V1.1.5

The last one looks promising. If it works and is the right one it should get the relevant bits from the deb and put them in the right places for you.

Reply #3
There's deb2targz on the AUR. You most likely only need the .ppd file from it and pass it to CUPS.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CUPS and http://127.0.0.1:631 for the interface.

Thank you both for your response.So, I have downloaded and installed the correct drivers from AUR, and now the .ppd file for the printer is listed in /usr/share/cups/model/Pantum/Pantum M6500 Series.ppd (attached)

At this point what should I do ? CUPS has already been installed for years, but I can't figure out how to pass the ppd file to it. In the "add printer" entry I can't find anything related to .ppd files. (attached).

Thanks!

Reply #4
If you installed the driver AUR package, and didn't extract the ppd yourself, you shouldn't need to worry about passing it to cups. Probably now all you need to do is install and enable the cups service for your init, cups-openrc, cups-runit or whatever, then if you are using XFCE or Mate and probably other DE's there could be something in the preferences / settings menus where you can select the printer, and then print stuff - hopefully!   :D
Searching for that model it seems it has a scanner too, so you will need to install some scanner things to support that part if you haven't already done so, sane, the sane service for your init, perhaps some GUI frontend like simplescan too.

Reply #6
If you installed the driver AUR package, and didn't extract the ppd yourself, you shouldn't need to worry about passing it to cups. Probably now all you need to do is install and enable the cups service for your init, cups-openrc, cups-runit or whatever, then if you are using XFCE or Mate and probably other DE's there could be something in the preferences / settings menus where you can select the printer, and then print stuff - hopefully!   :D
Searching for that model it seems it has a scanner too, so you will need to install some scanner things to support that part if you haven't already done so, sane, the sane service for your init, perhaps some GUI frontend like simplescan too.

Thanks again for the new tips. You're right, in fact the drivers are already correctly installed by AUR and so they are available in the system as per the screenshot I attached before (/usr/share/cups/model/Pantum/Pantum M6500 Series.ppd). - So I poked around a bit more in CUPS and I discovered that the right choice was not "Add a printer" but "Find a new printer": here I found the name of the printer and with a few simple steps to confirm the choices proposed by default the printer was ready to use without any further intervention, including the scanner ("sane" was already installed).
So everything is fine ! Thank you very much for the help of everyone, always decisive and timely.

Giorgio