Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Autmount with /etc/fstab not working (Read 2228 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Autmount with /etc/fstab not working

Reply #15
That's interesting. When I add that to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf it gives an error message. Something about not finding the module or something. And when I run
Code: [Select]
modprobe -c | vim
and search for "ntfs," the only reference is to "fs_ntfs3" and what I assume is the alias of it, "ntfs3."

Note: it works fine when I edit in "ntfs3."
I guess that's due to me having a kernel built from source, which has ntfs module instead of ntfs3. Whatever, use ntfs3 then.

By "works fine" I mean that mkinitcpio works, but when I reboot the drives show an error and I can't even enter my window manager.
What is the contents of your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf?

What is the exact output of
mkinitcpio -Pv | grep -i ntfs

Reply #16
Okay, that's weird. When I rebooted again the drives did not autmount. Is this expected behavior?

Reply #17
mkinitcpio -Pv | grep -i ntfs outputs:
==> ERROR: Unable to write to /boot/initramfs-linux516-tkg-pds.img
==> ERROR: Unable to write to /boot/initramfs-linux516-tkg-pds-fallback.img
==> ERROR: Unable to write to /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> ERROR: Unable to write to /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img

Reply #18
Tried again with sudo. Outputs the following:
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: xhci_pci
==> WARNING: consolefont: no font found in configuration
    adding module: ntfs3 (/lib/modules/5.16.11-246-tkg-pds/kernel/fs/ntfs3/ntfs3.ko.zst)
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: bfa
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qed
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qla1280
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qla2xxx
    adding module: ntfs3 (/lib/modules/5.16.11-246-tkg-pds/kernel/fs/ntfs3/ntfs3.ko.zst)
    adding module: ntfs3 (/lib/modules/5.16.10-artix1-1/kernel/fs/ntfs3/ntfs3.ko.zst)
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: bfa
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qed
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qla1280
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: qla2xxx
    adding module: ntfs3 (/lib/modules/5.16.10-artix1-1/kernel/fs/ntfs3/ntfs3.ko.zst)

Reply #19
UUID="3F8573B3660DF881"             /home/al/mount/TRANSCEND1       ntfs    auto,uid=1000,gid=998,rw,relatime,nofail,user,exec,umask=000 0

UUID="42C508CF71F9C321"         /home/al/mount/Toshiba          ntfs    auto,uid=1000,gid=998,rw,relatime,nofail,user,exec,umask=000 0      2
For ntfs3, you also need to change /etc/fstab entries so the file type is ntfs3 instead of just ntfs as above.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NTFS#Explicit_file_system_type_required_to_mount

That page lists some additional troubleshooting steps if that still doesn't work.

Reply #20
For ntfs3, you also need to change /etc/fstab entries so the file type is ntfs3 instead of just ntfs as above.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NTFS#Explicit_file_system_type_required_to_mount

That page lists some additional troubleshooting steps if that still doesn't work.

I've applied the fix and checked the troubleshooting steps. Both troubleshooting steps don't seem to apply, and the fix unfortunately didn't really do anything. It worked before, so I don't know what exactly changed.

Reply #21
Okay. Weird thing happened. It worked after running "sudo mkinitcpio -P" and "sudo update-grub." Gonna reboot to test if the fix is persistent.

Reply #22
It isn't persistent. That is so weird. Why does it work sometimes and not other times? Is it a hardware defect?

Reply #23
Okay. Weird thing happened. It worked after running "sudo mkinitcpio -P" and "sudo update-grub." Gonna reboot to test if the fix is persistent.
mkinitcpio and update-grub, like most of the administrative programs, require you to be root.

I suggest opening a root shell or using su(1) once to switch to being root for administrative tasks, rather than prefixing every command with "sudo".

What do the logs say? Are there any errors during boot? Look in the files inside /var/log for clues.

Both troubleshooting steps don't seem to apply,
What troubleshooting steps? What did you do? Be more specific.

Reply #24
I'm marking this as solved since it seems that reinstalling Artix fixes the issue. I am on a new installation of Artix on the same computer without the fstab configurations, but I'm sure it'll work if I configure it again (which I won't as while it may work properly I have discovered it could lead to potential issues.)

Reply #25
By the way, my apologies for the late reply strajder. To be clear, I simply didn't consider something in the wiki page applicable (iirc, as it's been a while.) All I did was add the following to /etc/udev/rules.d/ntfs3_by_default.rules:

SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}="ntfs3"

Reply #26
..., but I'm sure it'll work if I configure it again (which I won't as while it may work properly I have discovered it could lead to potential issues.)
Nice.
However, I still can't see what benefits you can expect when mounting filesystems from hot-plug devices using fstab.
"Wer alles kann, macht nichts richtig"

Artix USE="runit openrc slim openbox lxde gtk2 qt4 qt5 qt6 conky
-gtk3 -gtk4 -adwaita{cursors,themes,icons} -gnome3 -kde -plasma -wayland "

Reply #27
It was mostly just an idea of convenience really. I don't think I'll do it again, as I think it introduced issues when it did mount the devices.