Skip to main content
Topic: Black screen, only can see cursor on login after update. (Read 1189 times) previous topic - next topic

Black screen, only can see cursor on login after update.

I can only see a black screen and a cursor when I log in.

Re: Black screen, only can see cursor on login after update.

Reply #1
I see something that looks like a solution on here but I cant get it to work correctly.

" Try switching to a tty console (Ctrl + Alt + F1). "

When I do this it asks for a username. The problem with that is that my username is in Japanese text. I don't have a Japanese keyboard... Is there any way I can bypass this?

Reply #2
When I do this it asks for a username. The problem with that is that my username is in Japanese text. I don't have a Japanese keyboard... Is there any way I can bypass this?
Login as root. Then rename the existing user or create a new one for convenience.

It seems that something wrong with your graphical configuration (whether it be xorg or wayland).

Reply #3
Thanks I actually just thought of that as soon as you typed that. I appreciate your help. The Artix community responds quickly to my issues and I'm thankful for that.

Reply #4
To receive more support, you should provide the community with more comprehensive information. I.e., what is your hardware and software setup (videocard, videodrivers, kernel, xorg configuration and logs - if you use xorg and not wayland, of course). Without that, no one can say much here.

Reply #5
i have a similar problem, dont know why, when the session gets locked i cant log in again, a workaround is restart the display manager or in my case kill the locker process for preserve the session.
switch to tty1 and
rc-service xdm restart
or
rc-service lightdm restart
or
pkill light-locker

if you have the default installation like me, there is some miss-configuration . i think there is a bug with light-locker and, as i said in another thread reinstalling certain library doesn't solve the problem

Reply #6
if you have the default installation like me, there is some miss-configuration .
What is the "default installation"?

There is no such a thing. There are the base, graphical and community ISO images, neither of which will install xdm alongside lightdm. With base ISO installation, which is the recommended method of installation, only the packages given to basestrap by the user, and their dependencies, are installed.

Reply #7
I can only see a black screen and a cursor when I log in.
Having the exact same issue, it only occurs with OpenRC Plasma. Every other init works, but OpenRC completely breaks once updated from the January 2022 ISO.

Even with the January 2022 ISO, the GUI loading bar does not move at all, it remains frozen.

Tried every init and OpenRC is the only one having this problem for me.