Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Turn off automount? (Read 2335 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [SOLVED] Turn off automount?

Reply #15
@mrbrklyn , please don't:
  • Necropost in a thread last active in July 2021 (9 months ago). Open a new thread instead.
  • Post multiple times in succession. You can use the More... -> Modify menu item in the bottom right part of the post or the Quick Edit button to edit your post instead.

udisks, or more precisely, the daemon udisksd, is responsible for automounting. It is part of the package world/udisks2 and required by gvfs, so any other package depending on gvfs automatically pulls udisks2 for installation. The linked article gives more details about udisks.
udisksd(​8) is started on-demand by D-Bus and should not be enabled explicitly. It can be controlled through the command-line with udisksctl(1).

Also see:
Code: [Select]
man udisks udisksctl

P.S: If you want as little as possible to have with poetterware such as dbus, udisks, polkit and so on, I recommend what I'm using myself: no-DM, no-DE, WM-only GUI. I use dwm. I also prefer to mount disks manually, from the command line (I also use st).

Reply #16
P.S: If you want as little as possible to have with poetterware such as dbus, udisks, polkit and so on, I recommend what I'm using myself: no-DM, no-DE, WM-only GUI. I use dwm. I also prefer to mount disks manually, from the command line (I also use st).

Thank you.  FWIW - it is the GIMP that is requiring gvfs and I can't seem to remove the package with pacman without  removing the gimp and I need the gimp.  FWIW, I am using wmaker .  My environment doesn't require this.  It is actually the program that theoretically has existed for decades before potterware by 20 years or was created before Leonard was an adult.

I only want things to mount when I use the mount command, especially on my servers and workstations.

Unknown command `stop'
Usage:
  udisksctl COMMAND

Commands:
  help            Shows this information
  info            Shows information about an object
  dump            Shows information about all objects
  status          Shows high-level status
  monitor         Monitor changes to objects
  mount           Mount a filesystem
  unmount         Unmount a filesystem
  unlock          Unlock an encrypted device
  lock            Lock an encrypted device
  loop-setup      Set-up a loop device
  loop-delete     Delete a loop device
  power-off       Safely power off a drive
  smart-simulate  Set SMART data for a drive

turning it off seems to no not an option

Reply #17
turning it off seems to no not an option
If you read the linked article, and the output of udisksctl itself (command summary), more closely, you will see that you can't "stop" it. You can pkill udisksd as root, but it will come back when requested by the applications which require it as it is activated through dbus.

Read what I posted more carefully.

Reply #18
If you read the linked article, and the output of udisksctl itself (command summary), more closely, you will see that you can't "stop" it. You can pkill udisksd as root, but it will come back when requested by the applications which require it as it is activated through dbus.

Read what I posted more carefully.

I did read it and I also read that this thread is marked solved when it is not solved.  I appreciate the help.  I don't appreciate the sarcasm and ridicule.

Reading docs is NOT enough for learning.  It requires collaboration and discussion and analysis.  And frankly, docs are sometimes, if not often, wrong.

What you are saying, if I understand you correctly,  is that it can't be controlled it can only be removed because core applications are setting it off and they would all have to be recompiled without the dependencies.  That is what the man pages seem to say as well. 

So all these would have to go

Packages (23) akonadi-contacts-21.12.3-1  digikam-7.6.0-1
              ffmpegthumbs-21.12.3-1  gimp-2.10.30-2  grantleetheme-21.12.3-1
              gvfs-1.50.0-1  kaccounts-integration-21.12.3-1  kamera-21.12.3-1
              kcmutils-5.92.0-1  kdeclarative-5.92.0-1  kio-5.92.0-1
              knewstuff-5.92.0-2  knotifyconfig-5.92.0-1  kparts-5.92.0-1
              kpimtextedit-21.12.3-1  libakonadi-21.12.3-2  libkleo-21.12.3-2.1
              lxqt-panel-1.0.0-1  lxqt-powermanagement-1.0.0-1
              okular-21.12.3-1  purpose-5.92.0-1  solid-5.92.0-1
              udisks2-2.9.4-1

Meanwhile, up until now I have been running both the gimp and okular without this problem.  What if I just remove it with rm?

Reply #19
So one solution to make this better is to remove gvfs

that required swapping out the gimp

yay -S gimp-stripped

sudo pacman -R gvfs

That doesn't get rid of disks2 but it is much cleaner and better.

Reply #20
Reading docs is NOT enough for learning.  It requires collaboration and discussion and analysis.  And frankly, docs are sometimes, if not often, wrong.
The documentation for most free software is extensive and correct. Such is the case for udisks as well. Read it, understand what is udisks and its general mode of operation, then either accept it for what it is or uninstall it along with all the programs which require it, such as gimp. The command
pactree -r udisks2
can be used to get a dependency tree of that package.

Since the original question seems to be solved, I will lock this. Feel free to create another thread if you have another issue.

Update 20220403: gvfs has been moved to optional dependencies.