Skip to main content
Topic: Calamares "free space" bug when using an already-existing LVM vol, and a failure (Read 476 times) previous topic - next topic

Calamares "free space" bug when using an already-existing LVM vol, and a failure

First, you see - no matter what partitions I'm choosing, a free space is always ~1 TB (I'm on a 1TB drive). Then, the installation almost instantly fails with ""The installer failed to create partition on disk 'lvmSystem'." , but the true reason of failure is unclear to me.

Re: Calamares "free space" bug when using an already-existing LVM vol, and a failure

Reply #1
i want to know if you are using the weekly iso update or the officially released iso?

how are you creating partions on your llvm?  is that how that works?  i honestly don't know enough about llvm to be more helpful.
Cat Herders of Linux

Re: Calamares "free space" bug when using an already-existing LVM vol, and a failure

Reply #2
are you using the weekly iso update or the officially released iso?
I'm using an officially released ISO - artix-xfce-openrc-20220123-x86_64.iso . Can't use a weekly ISO because it's missing some Calamares modules - Calamares Initialization Failed - the following modules could not be loaded
how are you creating partions on your llvm?
First of all, I run these commands:
Code: [Select]
# creating the partitions
parted -s /dev/sda mklabel msdos
parted -s -a optimal /dev/sda mkpart "primary" "ext4" "0%" "100%"
parted -s /dev/sda align-check optimal 1
parted -s /dev/sda set 1 boot on
parted -s /dev/sda set 1 lvm on
cryptsetup benchmark
cryptsetup --verbose --type luks1 --cipher serpent-xts-plain64 --key-size 512 --hash whirlpool --iter-time 10000 --use-random --verify-passphrase luksFormat /dev/sda1
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda1 lvm-system
pvcreate /dev/mapper/lvm-system
vgcreate lvmSystem /dev/mapper/lvm-system
And then, instead of making the partitions in a command line (like I did in this another thread), I simply launch Calamares and try to create the partitions inside the already-existing LVM volume.